We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Day Trip: Tokyo only or Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

Cheongju, South...
3 posts
Save Topic
7 Day Trip: Tokyo only or Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

My boyfriend and I will be in Japan for the first time from Aug 13-20. We had originally planned to go to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka.

However, looking at how much rail passes and hotels are going to cost during this time, we've also recently started thinking about just staying in Tokyo the entire time.

My question is: for those who have been to Japan and to these places, would you recommend trying to visit all 3 locations in our short time frame or just staying in Tokyo and enjoying our time there?

I wouldn't mind just staying in Tokyo because I'm sure we can find things to fill the time but this is my first time to Japan and I don't know when (or if) I will ever be coming back and don't want to feel like I missed out.

This was our original itinerary which outlines a very rough plan of what we would like to do in each city, time and budget permitting:

Tokyo

- Tokyo Sky Tree *

- Park Hyatt tokyo *

- Shinjuku National Garden

- Shibuya Crossing *

- Tokyo bike tour *

- Roppongi Hills

Kyoto

- Fushimi Inari Shrine

- En Tea ceremony

- Gion Corner

Osaka

- Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan *

- Ferris Wheel

- Nanba Grand Kagetsu

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,344 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Day Trip: Tokyo only or Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

I think it's fine to visit Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka in 7 days. But then, you can most probably enjoy the whole 7 days in Tokyo (and its surrounding areas) only.

Kyoto could have much more to see, eat, and drink, in my humble opinion.

In Osaka, unless you understand spoken and broken Japanese in Kansai dialect, you should skip Nanba Grand Kagetsu comedy theater !!! Although it's hilarious if you do understand Japanese ...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Day Trip: Tokyo only or Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

Osaka is only a half hour from Kyoto by frequent train service. You could stay in one of these cities and visit the other. The JR Railpass may not save you money. A less expensive option (which also saves night at a hotel) is a night bus between Tokyo and Osaka or Kyoto http://willerexpress.com/bus/pc/3/top/

There are many other things to see in Kyoto. Consider Ginkakuji, Kiyomizudera, Sanjusangendo, Nijojo and Fushimi Inari Shrine (see http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html for all these sights). You could see all these in a day and a half.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Day Trip: Tokyo only or Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

I wouldn't bother with Osaka and i think you should probably stick to Tokyo for 7 days doing a couple of day tours or overnights to Nikko and Kamakura, you could also do a day trip or spend a night in Hakone and visit Mt Fuji but it's only worth the trip if it's good weather so it's better to wait until you arrive in Tokyo to check out the weather

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Day Trip: Tokyo only or Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

Just to add that I think Kyoto needs more time that you would be able to spend there so I would keep it for another visit.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Day Trip: Tokyo only or Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

You will not be disappointed either way, but I like Chrella's suggestions if you spend the entire week in Tokyo.

If you do stay in Tokyo, you will see very little that is old. You might enjoy a visit to the collection of old houses at Nihon Minkaen, a short train ride from Tokyo's Shinjuku Station: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3253.html

You are considering the Ferris wheel in Osaka? Tokyo also has a big one, in Odaiba, which also has lots of dramatic modern architecture: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Day Trip: Tokyo only or Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

How about basing yourself in Kyoto the entire week? There's plenty to see in the Kansai area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Day Trip: Tokyo only or Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

If you have never been before you should spend the whole week in Tokyo. There is much to see and there are some easy day trips if you find city life too intense.

8. Re: 7 Day Trip: Tokyo only or Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 03:16