We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JR Pass questions

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
JR Pass questions

Regarding the JR pass for Japan. I like to know how it works

It says 16 day pass.

So does that mean 16 days you ride with?

or is it time stamped?

So its only good for specfic dates for 16 days consecutively?

For example your first day of use is November 1st? so its only good till November 16th?

or is it 16 different days of travel, whenever u choose to travel?

Also when u ride a train with the pass.

Do you have to book a destination

as in if i wanted to take train Tokyo to Osaka? do i have to reserve that train? or can i just show up at train station any time any day and just take what ever train shows up?

thanks

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,988 reviews
from US$156.90*
Best Seller
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
898 reviews
from US$129.20*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
862 reviews
from US$66.50*
3-Day Mt Fuji, Kyoto and Nara Rail...
133 reviews
from US$586.20*
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JR Pass questions

No that's incorrect. The JR Pass only comes in 7 or 14 or 28 day format.

Read all about the terms & conditions on the JR website in various languages

http://www.japanrailpass.net/

You must buy the Pass before you enter Japan & they give you a voucher which you then exchange at a JR exchange office in Japan.

At the JR office you will tell them which date you want the Pass activated, so yes, the date is written on the Pass.

Yes, it is consecutive days. So, if you start using it on the 1st November it will expire at midnight on the 14th November (if you have a 14 Day Pass)

Therefore, no, it is not separate days of travel.

Reservations:

If you are riding the shinkansen or other trains with allocated seats you can reserve a seat & it doesn't cost anything extra to do this.

Note: It's good to know you have a seat as sometimes the shinkansen are full & you will have to stand up.

You go to the JR ticket office to reserve a seat. It's simple to do, you can turn up at the office & reserve a seat for a train leaving in the next few minutes or the next day/week.

JR staff are very helpful & will work out the best train times & routes if you are doing any complicated journeys. (Staff can also tell you things that Hyperdia can't. eg. which side to sit on to see Mt Fuji, whether a remote station has a lot facilities - coin lockers, shops, even weather conditions & the best bento box to try! It's amazing how a little human interaction pays off - but some people think going to the JR window a waste of time. I never do.)

If you are using the unreserved seat car, just go to the station & show your Pass.

All you need to do is walk through the gates by the ticket inspectors office & show your pass & they will let you in, you don't use the ticket machine gates with a JR Pass.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JR Pass questions

"as in if i wanted to take train Tokyo to Osaka? do i have to reserve that train? or can i just show up at train station any time any day and just take what ever train shows up?"

You can't use the Nozomi trains, so you need to check.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,221 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JR Pass questions

If you hold a JR Pass and you want to travel between Tokyo and Osaka, take a Hikari Shinkansen train. JR Pass holder cannot ride Nozomi, while Kodama makes several more stops, leading to a significantly slower journey.

4. Re: JR Pass questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2013, 10:16