We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel choices, what to pick?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel choices, what to pick?

Hi and thank you for reading

Looking at some hotel options suggested by our travel agent. Im happy with either hotel but wondering what others who have been there suggest.

What we are looking for is the usual clean, comfy and relatively quite (crowds and traffic permitting). What we hope for is a hotel that is central so we can bumble our way through the train system/walk to get around

Osaka:

Swissotel Nankai or Hotel Granvia?

Our only aim in Oskasa is the aquarium and looking around, no other plans

Kyoto:

Rihga Royal or Hotel Gravnia?

We are here for 5 nights getting out to see temples, gardens and walking

Hiroshima

Hotel Ganvia or Sheraton?

Peacepark and looking around

Toyko:

Hotel Keio or Park Hotel?

No real plans but to get out and see a bit of Toyko

Your suggestions is greatly appreciated and many thanks

Edited: 29 November 2012, 21:37
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel choices, what to pick?

The Kyoto Granvia is a much better hotel than the Righa Royal but is usually quite a bit more expensive. It is right above the station but any time I have stayed there the room has been absolutely silent. I don't much like the Tokyo Keio Plaza, which is a vast, concrete, outdated building. I much prefer the New Otani, even bigger but with one of the best gardens in the whole of Japan, provided you can afford the Main building, which has recently been refurbished. If it is your first visit to Japan you will be astonished at the high standard of service. You will also be astonished at the cost of eating in most hotels but much cheaper food will be available nearby.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,958 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel choices, what to pick?

>>>Swissotel Nankai or Hotel Granvia?

Our only aim in Oskasa is the aquarium and looking around, no other plans<<

Either is fine. Both locations are extremely convenient. How many nights are you going to stay in Osaka? If the aquarium is your only plan, why not just do a day trip to Osaka from Kyoto in stead of wasting your time by changing hotels? Kyoto to Osaka is only 30 minutes by train.

>>>Rihga Royal or Hotel Gravnia?<<

Definitely Granvia. It's a much better hotel over all. You simply cannot beat the location. The Rihga Royal is getting dated.

>>>Hotel Ganvia or Sheraton?<<<

They are right next to each other. Sheraton is a bit more luxurious.

>>>>Hotel Keio or Park Hotel?<<<

Neither. The Keio Plaza is in Shinjuku, so it's more convenient than the Park, but you have to walk several minutes to get to Keio from Shinjuku Station. The Century Southern Tower is much closer to the station and it's a great hotel. The rate should be about the same as Keio and Park. You can see hotel reviews here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298184-Tokyo_Tokyo_P…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel choices, what to pick?

Thanks for the hotel recommendations, im waiting on pricing for the new hotels

For the advice on staying in Kyoto and day tripping to Osaka, Im giving it some serious thought as it does make sense so will discuss it tonight

Cheers

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel choices, what to pick?

If you're not planning to spend a lot of time in Osaka, it makes sense to remain at your Kyoto hotel and treat Osaka as one or two day trips. It takes a lot of effort to check-out, schlep (drag) your luggage to a new city, and then check-in at a new hotel.

By the way, you can stay at less expensive hotels and still have clean and quiet rooms. Hotel rooms in the 5,000 yen range are still very clean and quiet. The Japanese culture puts a lot of emphasis on being clean and considerate of others. I was amazed at how good the soundproofing was in Japanese hotels until I realized that it was the Japanese guests who were quiet!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,890 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel choices, what to pick?

If you choose Century Southern Tower at Shinjuku, you could opt to pay a few thousand Yen more to get a bigger room. The basic room size is a decent 26m2, the next step up is 31m2. Keio Plaza has slightly bigger rooms but it's more expensive. If you want something absolutely comparable at CST and don't mind paying a bit more, that's the way to go.

If you are just daytripping to Osaka from Kyoto, then definitely don't move an extra time just to stay at a Osaka Hotel.

Be sure to get the Osaka Kaiyu Ticket which gives you unlimited Osaka city transport for the day. If you have an activated JR Pass, just buy the Osaka version (2,400 Yen) once you reach Osaka. If you will need to pay for transport separately from Kyoto to Osaka, get the Kyoto version (2,800 Yen).

kaiyukan.com/language/…kaiyu_ticket_2.pdf

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel choices, what to pick?

Hi there it makes a lot more sense to stay in kyoto and day trip to osaka. I moved three times - twice in kyoto and then finally to osaka. it was a pain each time and worth avoiding if possible. It will take you less than 15mins by the train from kyoto to osaka. I dont know your hotels in kyoto but would certainly try and stay as close to the gion area of kyoto as you can. Its an absolutely amazing part of kyoto and here is where you will have the best chance to see authentic geisha. Kyoto is not huge. If you want to see several sights then consider a one day bus pass. Every hotel will give you an english map which will give you the sights and what bus corresponds to each sight. Its a fun way to get around. Also check out the walk in kyoto talk in english tour - it was one of the best tours i did in japan. You mentioned the aquarium. This is a must do. Its the largest one in Japan and has some amazing fish and aquatic animals likes seals and penguins which have specific feeding times which is fun to watch. You start at the top and make your way down. The jelly fish are gorgeous.

have a great trip

you can easily do hiroshima as a day trip from either kyoto or osaka. The two main sights are the peace park and mijuyima island. Once you get to hiroshima station take the #2 cable car to the end of the line where you can get the ferry to the island. Take the same one on the way back and get off at the peace park where there is plenty to see and do including the museum, the memorial building (do these before the park as they close at 5.30) and the many monuments. You can then take the bus back to the station and head back to kyoto or osaka.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel choices, what to pick?

Add my vote for the Century Southern Tower in Shinjuku. Superb. And having stayed there recently, can also recommend the Sheraton in Hiroshima. Very nice indeed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel choices, what to pick?

Thank you for all your advise and we have changed our plans/hotels as a result. Much appreciated

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel choices, what to pick?

I disagree with Bargainhunter on this one. Staying in four star hotels in Tokyo or Osaka is your chance to experience for the equivalent of £150 British pounds or so, beautiful accommodation and a level of service that would cost closer to £500 in any European capital city but you need to appreciate that in most hotels the room price is something of a loss leader, with the profit being made from very expensive meals and other services. Now that I have retired and pay my own bills I stay in the same hotels but eat outside and don't use such things as the hotel gym or internet. I have found some good cheaper hotels but I have also found some with tiny, shabby rooms stinking of smoke and surly staff that would feel quite at home in many French hotels where customer service is an unknown concept.

10. Re: Hotel choices, what to pick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 14:16