We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mikimoto Pearl Island

Raanana
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mikimoto Pearl Island

What can we see in Mikimoto Island?

Can I watch the Ama women diving to pick Perls?

If yes, in what hours?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mikimoto Pearl Island

There is quite a lot to see on the Mikimoto Pearl Island if pearl is your cup of tea. The museum is very informative with many exhibits and displays of the cultivation industry. There are also workshop demonstration and staff are extremely patient to explain everything with their limit English. The highlight is of course the demonstration of the ama divers. We were told that nowadays they dive for sea urchins and abalones instead of oysters.

mikimoto-pearl-museum.co.jp/ama/index.html

www.mikimoto-pearl-museum.co.jp/ama/time.html (schedule)

Raanana
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mikimoto Pearl Island

Thanks.

Is it possible to watch the Ama at work?

If yes, at what days and hours (for 17 of May)?

I can not read Japanese, what is the time table you send me for?

If I have JRP, what is the shorter way to get Mikimoto from Kyoto?

How many hours it can take me fro Kyoto to Mikimoto?

Can I made a day trip from Kyoto to Mikimoto?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mikimoto Pearl Island

The schedule link I posted above is the Ama diving schedule. At present it is showing the timetable till March 18 this year. You have to monitor the webpage for up-date information when the time comes to travel in May. Currently the diving demonstration runs hourly from 9.20 till 16.20.

By direct Kintetsu Rail it is about 1 hr 15 min from Kyoto to Toba. Using rail pass and taking JR you need to make a transfer in Nagoya and the train journey is close to 3 hrs. From Toba it is another 5-7 min walk to Mikimoto Pearl Island.

So if you don’t mind 6 hrs on JR a daytrip there from Kyoto is feasible. But there are more to it than just the Mikimoto Pearl Island in the Shima Peninsula so ideally at least spend a night nearby for a more leisurely tour of the region.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4310.html

Raanana
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mikimoto Pearl Island

Thanks,

More than 3 hours for one direction, looks like a long journey....

For how much time can we watch the Ama activity?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mikimoto Pearl Island

I couldn’t recall the exact duration of the Ama diving demonstration, maybe 10 to 15 min. Each of the 3 female divers makes several dives.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mikimoto Pearl Island

I'm also interested in going here! I was hoping to pick up a strand of pearls, do you know if it is cheaper than the Mikimoto stores in cities?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mikimoto Pearl Island

Mikimoto pearls are not cheap. When we browse through their shop most of the products are way too expensive for us. Couldn’t comment on the price comparison with those sold in cities but there are some quoted prices on their mail-order webpage (3 pages) which may be used as a reference. One thing for sure is that those you get from the Mikimoto Pearl Island are genuine.

mikimoto-pearl-museum.co.jp/mail_order/2013a…

zapopan
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mikimoto Pearl Island

Be careful when you buy pearls in Mikimoto Pearl Island. There are 2 pearl stores inside the main pearl shop in Mikimoto Pearl Island where is located next to the exhibition place for Ama diving. The only southern part of the shop is Mikimoto. The other side is NOT Mikimoto. You need to make sure where you are buying pearls before purchasing them. The price of pearls is the same as the stores in cities.There are more varieties of pearls in Mikimoto Pearl Island. BTW,The main Mikimoto Pearl Store is in Ginza, Tokyo. The pearls from Mikimoto are genuine,but expensive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
718 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mikimoto Pearl Island

If going there, you should also consider visiting Ise Shrine in Ise. Between Ise and Toba, you can also visit Futamigaura. Another spiritual place by the ocean.

As William mentioned, Shima Peninsula provides stunning landscape. It's pity to get there only for a day!

10. Re: Mikimoto Pearl Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 07:17