We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking train Tokyo - Kyoto with JR pass

brisbane
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Booking train Tokyo - Kyoto with JR pass

Hello

We arrive in Tokyo on the 6th April and are planning to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto on Tuesday 9th April. From the trouble we've had finding accom I am assuming it is busy due to cherry blossom season etc. My question is can I and if yes how do I pre book the train from Tokyo to Kyoto?? Also what do people recommend we do with regards to exchanging our JR voucher for the actual JR rail pass?? Can this only be done on the day we want it to start?

Thanks in advance

Amanda

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,048 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking train Tokyo - Kyoto with JR pass

You can exchange the pass and make reservations before you actually want to activate it. It can be done at any JR Service Center. There should be a list that came with your exchange voucher.

Edited: 04 March 2013, 23:04
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,435 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking train Tokyo - Kyoto with JR pass

JR Pass voucher exchange offices and hours:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en009.html

Once you exchange your voucher for the Pass, you can make reservations. The Pass does not need to be activated on the same day.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking train Tokyo - Kyoto with JR pass

I find it easiest to go to the JR Green window office in the airport when I arrive. It's right there and saves time later. And given the season you are traveling, it is good to get seats booked with your rail pass as early as you can. When you exchange the voucher for the rail pass, they will write the date you want it to start right on the pass, so choose the start date that will get you the most use. If you are traveling back to Tokyo for departure, you will want to use it for that long trip so be sure to include that date in your plans for the rail pass.

brisbane
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking train Tokyo - Kyoto with JR pass

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

Amanda

5. Re: Booking train Tokyo - Kyoto with JR pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 06:17