We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to base ourselves

Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Where to base ourselves

We are travelling to Japan for only 8 days in June. I thought we could stay in Tokyo for 3 days and then travel to, and base ourselves in either Osaka or Kyoto. We would do some day trips - unplanned as yet!

Osaka or Kyoto - any suggestions please. Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,419 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to base ourselves

If you will be spend more time at Kyoto than Osaka, then base yourself at Kyoto.

If you have enough days between the two, switching hotels isn't necessarily a bad idea so you can avoid the approximately 45-minute commute daily.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to base ourselves

i too, would recommend kyoto. consider staying at a ryokan, and to escape the heat, look into a day trip or overnight up in kibune (village up in mountains with ryokan that serve meals on platforms over the river, 40min north by train).

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,967 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to base ourselves

Ask 100 people, and you'll have over 90 people answering Kyoto. As much as I love Osaka.

Today the cherry trees were almost in full bloom at Ueno Park. Although I had a nice late bento lunch there, way too many people were there for me to properly enjoy, though (national holiday). I'll probably return in the evening after people went home.

Edited: 20 March 2013, 07:35
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,030 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to base ourselves

Please do some research at www.japan-guide.com - the site has some suggested itineraries. IMO, with your timeframe base yourself in two cities. Do day trips to other destinations as time allows.

Consider flying open-jaw, in at Tokyo and out at Osaka or vice versa. This will eliminate the return train trip to either city.

5. Re: Where to base ourselves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 04:17