We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

Will be going to Japan soon with my GF. She fancies going to an onsen sometime during the trip but does not like the idea of gender-separated baths and also she is quite shy so we would try to find either a private onsen bath or a not too crowded free "natural" onsen bath (not sure if that is called onsen though). About natural onsen I know I have seen some on Japan-guide which are a little or not prepared for bathing but are meant for use as onsen, if you see what I mean.

We will be staying in Fukuoka, Osaka, Sapporo and Tokyo for the trip so if there are any okay ones around there good for daytrips then please let me know. Would prefer those that are not needed to have an active stay at a hotel or ryokan near the onsen as I have heard some are required to be a guest of those to be visiting the onsen.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,460 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

Please type Private Onsen in the search box above. There are numerous posts on the subject.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

What you want is a day use (higaeri) chartered(private time reserved kashikiri) onsen.

kashikiri-onsen.com/theme_kashikirihigaeri.h…

Google translate and look for a roten outdoor bath, if you want, as many are indoor no view type.

Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

Apparently I needed to make some changes to the planning. The need outdoor nature onsen is out of question at the moment. Might there be any okay foreigner friendly onsen in the cities, that can go for private bath?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,903 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

It's not really a matter of foreigner friendliness. Private family onsen is a kind of rare (not the common way to enjoy it) and you will have trouble finding them in cities. Tokyo (Prefecture) apparently specifically prohibits rental baths of mixed gender (as these places are meant for washing and relaxing, and not flirting. Some people want to maintain public order).

In Shin-Urayasu which is technically in Chiba Prefecture but quite close to Tokyo, there is an onsen facility by the name Urayasu Mangekyo. I haven't been there and I doubt whether a small indoor bath in a city would be enjoyable, but if you'd like to try you might consider it.

translate.google.co.jp/translate…

Perhaps you might enjoy bath with your friend in your hometown? It's a different thing. I won't go to Naples in in Italy and be disappointed by a spaghetti not in plain ketchup sauce (like the Napolitan Spaghetti in Japan); I would instead enjoy (at least try) the local real thing. Onsens in Japan are segregated and you enjoy large pools of hot mineral water with other people, inside or open air, normally.

Edited: 04 May 2013, 16:03
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,903 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

The other day use onsen facilities that have baths that can be rented (please check the details):

I think it would be better to book an onsen hotel / ryokan with private bath attached, though.

Edited: 04 May 2013, 16:09
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

Thank you very much Yobeekool. The only reason I look for mixed or at least private is that I do not wish to leave my travel mate alone, hard to explain but thats the thing so... By the way, I recall there is a place called Oedo Onsen Monogatari in southeast Tokyo. Dont know what it is but it feels kinda like a tourist trap perhaps.

Needed to add something. I noted on the info page of Oedo that people with tatoos should not use their facilities. Since I have a small tatoo on my left upper arm (about 1,5 inch across). I dont want to be rude or draw my attention as to I would be a gangster but perhaps it is possible if I put a bandaid over it or something that hides it? Or a private onsen.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,903 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

If you have a band aid to cover it, no problem. It's just a rule that applies to everyone and can't turn a blind eye to foreigners.

There is apparently a room to stay at Oedo Onsen Monogatari with private bath but not for day use (as mentioned, Tokyo don't allow day use private onsens by municipal bylaw [apart from those licensed to specific institutions]).

Oedo Onsen is very touristy. That said, you are a tourist after all. Whether you would call it a trap depends on how much you'll enjoy it. Many visitors seem to enjoy there.

Edited: 04 May 2013, 20:35
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,903 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

9. Re: Looking for private Onsen / Natural onsen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 06:18