We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

I just received an e-newsletter from Japan-guide announcing the following:

Important notice: On April 19, 2013, ATMs at 7-Eleven stores stopped accepting Mastercard, Maestro and Cirrus cards issued outside of Japan. Similarly, international ATMs across Japan, including postal ATMs, stopped accepting Maestro cards with EMV chips (but continue to accept Marstercard and Cirrus cards and Maestro cards without EMV chips).

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

This doesn't look good. Anyone has any experience already? It seems like the only option is to use cards without EMV chips at postal ATMs.... BUT don't most cards have EMV chips??

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,165 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

Please see past posts on this issue.

Use other CC like VISA or AmEx if you have them. Don't withdraw money from ATM using Mastercard/Maestro/Cirrus (use for payment only). Japan is safe and a cash society, anyway, so carry cash and pay by cash. Don't ever rely on one mode of payment.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,205 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k6427…

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,909 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

Mastercard's notice on the topic is here.

mastercard.com/jp/…notification.html

You might find your Mastercard is ok, because it is issued in the Asia/Pacific region. It would be worth checking with the issuer. I checked with the issuer of my card, and found that it will be ok, even if only in Japan Post ATMs. That will be enough for me to get cash out in the places that I visit.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

Thanks for the link Selsy. If the notification on the website you provided holds, then I *should* be able to use my Mastercard as it is issued in Asia/Pacific region. I'll check with my bank, just in case!

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
866 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

We used our Visa cards at post offices with no problems over the last 3 weeks.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

Mastercard works again as of yesterday.

central coast nsw
Level Contributor
78 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

I was in Japan a week ago and used my mastercard at a post office atm. Everywhere else atm's only sseemed to accept visa etc not mastercard.

8. Re: ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 19:21
New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,909 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

The notice quoted above specifically refers to Mastercard, which has caused problems for some international visitors. I do not think there is any doubt or concern about Visa access at ATMs.

Level Contributor
3 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATMs don't accept cards issued outside Japan?

Ive just spent ten days in japan. Seven eleven dont take mastercards. Luckily i have a visa card too, which worked, otherwise we woud have been in serious trouble. In ten days i only found one atm outside seven eleven which would take a uk card, at narita airport. I tried dozens. Japans banking seems to live in the stone age. I would take loads of cash if i went again.