We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Language.

Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Language.

Hi,

I'm going to Tokyo for the first time in July and I was wondering if English is understood well there?

I have no problem trying my hand at Japanese (I have a phrasebook to help out) - I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Thanks

Christian

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Language.

4 star hotels and above, yes. Roppongi, yes. International tourist attractions like Tokyo Tower, yes. Other places, no

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Language.

English or you speaking Japanese is not important. A smile, asking for help, and adjusting things to the local way is important.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Language.

I know only a few words of Japanese, and got by well enough. There are signs in English for the subway system and elsewhere. The staff at my hotel (3 star) varied from basic to very good in their knowledge of English.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Language.

Pretty much every single person has studied English at school in Japan - both old & young, but whether or not they feel confident to speak English is another question. Back in the 1980s& 90s there was an English boom with many adults going to conversation classes in their free time, on weeknights & on weekends.

Note: Most students learn 'North American' English so if you aren't American people sometimes have difficulty understanding your accent & words - you could speaking like an American if people are having trouble understanding you - use the accent, or for example say "elevator" instead of "lift." I'm not promoting any particular way of speaking as preferable but just stating that this is the way things are due to the post-war Occupation, Junior High School textbooks & the pervasive influence of US culture.

People generally can read written English better than speaking it, so sometimes it helps to write it down.

World Travel
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Language.

Very helpful Elly M. I have also heard that many Japanese are good at written English, but shy to speak.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Language.

I haven't had any difficulties finding my way around all over Japan with only a few words of Japanese.

It helps if you have a map with the place/street names in both Japanese and English, which makes it much easier for people to assist you.

I ran into some people who spoke English well (although not a lot, even in Tokyo) but the signs in the stations are in English writing and the information signs at many of the sights were in both languages.

At one of the hotels I stayed in , the Sunroute Hotel in Asakusa, the most of the desk staff spoke fairly good English (and were really helpful) at other hotels the ability varied a lot.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 09:48
7. Re: Language.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:18