We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay phones are still around?

rishon le zion
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Pay phones are still around?

I would have never thought to ask, but i got a mail from the owner of a booked ryokan, stating we can call him by using a pay phone. So, are they still around? We plan to use voice phone in Japan only for local bookings and reconfirmations. We thought about hiring a mobile for this purpose, but if these coin phones are still around or if its possible to make calls by paying some store or hotel a small sum, it would be a much cheaper and convenient solution for us.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,906 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pay phones are still around?

Of course they are all around. At the train/bus station, in the museums and shopping centers, in the streets, in front of convenience stores, here, there, and everywhere.

Plus, they actually work...

Edited: 04 July 2013, 16:23
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pay phones are still around?

payphone on some trains too.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,776 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pay phones are still around?

Payphones are everywhere. You might have to look for ones that accept coins. The gray ones always do, while some green ones don't.

Edited: 05 July 2013, 03:54
rishon le zion
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pay phones are still around?

Thank you. That's really wonderful. Is it posible to use pay phones also for international calls? In the past there were call cards to use for pay phones instead of coins. Are they also still available? If they are, where is it possible to buy them? Does their use require speaking/understanding Japanese?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,776 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pay phones are still around?

If you are going to end up using a phone often, you might as well rent a mobile phone or a simcard. Check out JAL-ABC, Softbank, or Rentafone. Daily rental charges are minimal. Outgoing calls are charged according to a preset rate table. International calls are charged depending on where you are calling. Incoming calls are free.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pay phones are still around?

>> Is it posible to use pay phones also for international calls?

yes, and for one service provider the international LD call is "free" to certain countries. You only pay for the local/domestic toll to the access number.

http://www.geteazy.com/mltel/gjdhe.html

Also rental mobile phones are free for ANA international passengers.

rishon le zion
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pay phones are still around?

Thank you. The problem is that we intend to rent a wi-fi device for data communication and i don't want to bother with two rented devices. That's why , if possible, i would like to use payphones. I looked at LD and their free countries are not relevant for us. So, i'd like to ask again if there are prepaid call cards to use for pay phones instead of coins, for local and international calls.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,776 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pay phones are still around?

If you have a Wi-Fi data phone, you can use various apps/software that allows you to make calls via the internet.

rishon le zion
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pay phones are still around?

As far as I know, these kind of internet calls applications depend on the availability of the same kind of software for the other end user, so they are not very useful for us. That's why I thought about combining low-teck pay-phones for voice calls with wi-fi use for data.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pay phones are still around?

>> if there are prepaid call cards to use for pay phones

yes. There are 2 phone companies providing LD payphone service and their cards are not interchangeable. Location of these phones are not that many.

There are also 3rd party phone cards with much lower rates but the minimum spend is 2000yen. These cards can be used on any pay/hotel/private phone. Search for Brastel.

>> these kind of internet calls applications depend on the availability of the same kind of software for the other end user

Incorrect. Vast majority of these applications can make calls to landline or mobile phone anywhere in the world, at very low per minute rates compared to phone cards or payphones. The other end user needs the same software ONLY if you want the calls to be free.