We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best short-visit @ Japan?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best short-visit @ Japan?

Hi everyone! I know this question has been asked several times, but I would really value any help, information and recommendations that you could provide me.

I'm planning to make a travel to Japan for about one week in mid-August (it would be my first time ever in Japan or Asia), just before heading to China to study chinese for a year thanks to a scholarship I was given.

So I have been researching about which are the best places I should go in this short visit on Japan. I narrowed the sleeping options to hotels in Tokyo and in Kyoto... so far, I have read the some great places in Tokyo are:

Akihabara

Ueno Park

Shibuya

Roppongi

Shinjuku

Yoyogi Park

Imperial Palace

Rikugien

Tokyo Skytree – Tokyo Tower

Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office

Kabukicho

But which of them would you really recommend me to visit? I've hear that Tokyo Disneyland is really cool... what do you think about it?

And about Kyoto, what are the must-see places?

Is there any other near city you would recommend me to visit?

Is the JR-Pass really useful for a trip like this one?

Thanks a lot in advance for any information/tip you could provide me.

I would be in a kind of budget, so budget travel options would be highly appreciated hehe...

Best regards for all of you!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best short-visit @ Japan?

It's really hard to make recommendations without knowing what your interests are, and what sort of activities you enjoy, however I'll mention some of the things I enjoyed in Tokyo. I liked

- Meiji shrine for its gardens and seeing a traditional Japanese bridal couple

- Asakusa for Sensoji temple and Kappashi, a street full of kitchenware and crockery shops

- Ueno Park for its museums, and a couple of picturesque shrines

- Tsukiji fish market and Hamarikyu gardens right next door to it.

I found the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building slightly disappointing, although it is free.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best short-visit @ Japan?

Can you arrange an afforable airfare where you arrive in Tokyo, and then depart for China from Osaka? Since Kyoto is near Osaka, that would save you some travel time. A Japan Rail pass would probably not save you money.

For inexpensive hotels, I would suggest the Toyoko Inn chain in Tokyo and Kyoto. The Comfort Hotel in Kyoto is also a good deal.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,022 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best short-visit @ Japan?

Super Hotel, APA, Toyoko Inn, Comfort Hotel, Mystays/Flexstays are all OK as budget hotels.

Nozawa
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best short-visit @ Japan?

It's amazing visit for Japan, as I know Japan is one of the best tourist place. Thanks for sharing this post.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,243 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best short-visit @ Japan?

Only you can determine what's interesting for you. If you want some ratings of popular sites and good basic info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best short-visit @ Japan?

Hi

We have just done a 1 week trip.

We arrived on a Monday night and stayed in Higashi Shinjuku at e hotel. It's right beside Kabukicho so we walked around there that night.

Tuesday we hit the key tourist sights hard and got the after 6pm pass for Disneyland.

Wednesday am we went to Kyoto (via Shinkansen) and overnighted at the Best Western. Thursday morning up and off to Hiroshima then back to Tokyo that night.

Friday we did more sightseeing in Tokyo and again Sat morning before flying out.

We were stuffed at the end of it with so much walking but had a blast.

We used our JR pass heaps but the other lines were more suitable for some trips so be prepared to have change. Don't get sucked into a suica pass or similar. You will be fine with coins.

Have fun!

7. Re: Best short-visit @ Japan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 06:18