We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card Question

Level Contributor
100 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Sim Card Question

I searched the forum and a little confused about what phone can use the sim card sells in Japan. We are going to stay in Japan for 15 days.

We have two unlocked AT&T phones and would like to find out if the two phones can use the Japanese SIM card:

1) LG Quantum C900 (quad-band GSM device with WCDMA modes for international use).

2) LG GT550 Encore (It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies as well as AT&T's dual-band 3G network (850/1900 MHz; HSDPA/UMTS)

Thank you very much for your advice.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card Question

1) insufficient information.

2) No

You need 2100Mhz 3G (UMTS/HSDPA)

Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card Question

I have also been researching for better deals regarding mobile access. I've some across two sites that seem ok. I've never tried them yet. Though i plan to when I visit next month.

www.rentafonejapan.com/Mobile-Internet.html

www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

There is phone/mobile wifi rental at the airports but the prices are quite high.

Level Contributor
100 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card Question

Thank you all for the response. We are going to stay in HK for 10 days before Japan. It might be better to get HK rechargable sim card and use the phone in Japan. Just pay roaming fee and Japan rate. Please let me know if you don't think that will work.

Lala, we are going at the end of October. Please update me if you possible about your mobile access in Japan.

4. Re: Sim Card Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:20