We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily budget

Llangollen, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Daily budget

Hi

Could people please recommend a guide for a daily budget, excluding hotels. Understand that this can only be a vague suggestion, just to give me an idea how much I need to save for the trip.

Many thanks

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Daily budget

How about this? http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,464 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daily budget

I suggest the same amount you would spend in the UK if you travelled locally (for meals, etc). Only difference is factor in a rail pass if you want to do long distance rail travel.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daily budget

I think London is more expensive than Tokyo in many ways. Using MapleG's recommendation is going to get you pretty close to a decent budget number. Lodging is definitely much cheaper from the standpoint of budget travel because the most inexpensive lodging in Japan is 100% safe, whereas outside of Japan you have to pay more to get safer accommodation.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daily budget

Accommodation is insanely inexpensive in Japan. Single rooms for 60USD (weekdays) with full amenities everywhere, which include the like of Comfort Hotel, Best Western etc. You can't get that kind of rooms even in most of SE Asia.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daily budget

We were there in May

Drink vending machines everywhere and was able to buy drinks for 150yen to 200yen. Loved the vending machines

I found restaurants small and many and most nights our dinner for two adults cost between 2000yen to 2500yen - sticking to local foods which included chicken or pork, noodles or rice. This does not include drinks as most do not sell cokes but do supply green tea. The most expensive meal we had cost 30,000yen for two people but that was a better restaurant and we only did it once. Amazing meal

Lunch was usually a bento box/sushi, found them every where - between 500yen to 1000yen per box but quite filling. Keep an eye out for fresh fruit, bought amazing strawberries for 3000yen per box - was eating them every day

Twice we hit a "western" styled restaurant and it was more expensive but I needed the grease and sugar hit.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 23:02
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daily budget

Opps. Strawberries for 300yen, not 3000

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
644 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daily budget

Hello - Excluding accommodation and train fares you will find that it is quite possible to have a great holiday and spend about the same as you would do if you we're on holiday in the uk.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daily budget

If you can eat local food then the expenses go way down in a big way. If you need special food or western food then you will pay more. Indian food, Chinese food, Korean food is available, too.

9. Re: Daily budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 05:18