We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I take luggage on trains

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can I take luggage on trains

I'm going to Japan in late Oct to early Nov and plan to stay in a couple different cities. Can I take my luggage with me on the trains or is there limited for carry on luggage? If taking luggage with me is a problem, how do I get myself and my belongings to different cities?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I take luggage on trains

This should address most of your questions: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,675 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I take luggage on trains

Welcome to TA.

Are you referring to long distance (shinkansen) trains? There is some storage for luggage - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k4060…

You can always use luggage forwarding service - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html - Delivery is usually on the next day, and costs are moderate.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I take luggage on trains

Thanks for you reply.

This is my first trip to Japan, so I don't know what type of train I'll use. Is there another train option besides the Shinkansen?

I know we plan to travel from Nagoya to Kyoto for 2 night stay and from Nagoya to Takahama for an overnight stay.

We will probably have standard size carry on bags, plus one personal type bag. Is it reasonable to bring this amount of luggage along with us or better to arrange luggage delivery?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I take luggage on trains

You can certainly take luggage on trains and there is no fixed limit. It is up to your tolerance for carrying it up and down stairs and getting on and off if the trains are crowded. I have taken very large equipment cases on very crowded trains in Tokyo for my job. This is extremely challenging and difficult but nobody cares if you want to take the trouble of doing it.

What is the size of your luggage? I see backpackers with full Himalayan-grade rigs in passage on crowded trains in Tokyo all the time. Even one large hard-side suitcase with wheels should not be a problem, assuming you don't mind taking the trouble of hauling it around. The bigger problem is if you need to store it somewhere. If you are just in transit and your luggage is manageable by yourself then I wouldn't worry about it.

An alternative is to use a forwarding service for bulky luggage and use an overnight-bag until your bulky luggage arrives the next day at your destination.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I take luggage on trains

I think you can manage with that amount of luggage. As for Shinkansen, the routes are somewhat limited, but generally you wouild use shinkansen when possible. The exception might be for short distances, i.e. Osaka-Kyoto, Tokyo-Yokohama, etc.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,139 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I take luggage on trains

I have taken full size suitcases on the Yamanote line(Tokyo circle line) during afternoon rush hour, together with numerous others as the N'EX was cancelled for the day..

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,837 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I take luggage on trains

Should you bring a backpack with you, please remove it from your body and place it on the floor in front of you. Otherwise, you risk slapping other people with your bag whenever you move. Also, be sure you don't block the train exits.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I take luggage on trains

Thank you all for your answers. This is really helpful. I plan to only take my standard airplane carry on suitcase and a personal item like a large handbag--nothing too large or heavy. Since we are planning 1-3 day excursions from our "base" location in Nagoya, I didn't think arranging for a delivery service was a reasonable alternative. We're using Nagoya as a base because we have a friend who lives there and that is where are flights are arriving and departing.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I take luggage on trains

Yes you will have no worries with what you plan to take. We travelled with 2 medium sized cases which we were able to put in the overhead racks in most limited express trains (Takayama, Kanazawa, Kyoto) and Shinkansen to Hiroshima.

10. Re: Can I take luggage on trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 07:19