We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

master card restrictions lifted?

Augsburg Germany
1 post
Save Topic
master card restrictions lifted?

I plan to travel to Japan in October. Have the restrictions on mastercard (with chip, EC card)from April this year been lifted yet?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: master card restrictions lifted?

See this

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k6…

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: master card restrictions lifted?

I used my MasterCard in 3 shops yesterday without a problem but couldn't take any money out from ATM using it

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,341 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: master card restrictions lifted?

I came across a foreign traveler at Seven Eleven ATM the day before swearing at the machine. He was using MasterCard.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 22:36
NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: master card restrictions lifted?

Just back from 3 weeks trip to Japan: you wouldn't be able to withdraw cash from ATM machines with MasterCard, Cirrus or Maestro, unless you go to Post Offices!!!!!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: master card restrictions lifted?

Hi

I live in Japan and have an account with Mastercard, a debit card. I cannot use it at Post Offices.

I'v ehad to have money sent from my account in the US via bank to bank wire. This has been such a pain in the neck.

6. Re: master card restrictions lifted?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 05:17