We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with my trip in March

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Help with my trip in March

Hi,

I have my flights booked to arrive into Osaka on the 19th March. There will also be my husband and two teenage daughters. We are flying out of Tokyo on the 29th of March.

I would love to get some thoughts on my very rough plans! I am thinking 5 nights in Osaka or Koyoto. We will be spending a day at universal studios and a visit to the floating garden.

As for Tokyo, we are thinking 5 nights also. We would like a day trip to Yuzawa, Yokohama and a day at Disneyland. We would also like to visit Mt Fuji. I think Shinjuku would be a great place for us to stay, but I am having trouble finding a place for the four of us.

My original plan was to fly in and out of Osaka, so thought the JR pass would be a great idea. I'm not really sure now!

Any thoughts so far? I know I still have a lot of homework to do!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Yokohama
Yokohama
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Heiseinomori Park
Playgrounds, Gardens, Parks, Bodies of Water
Ogose Bairin
Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with my trip in March

My comments are:

-fly into Osaka and fly out of Tokyo. It will save you a lot of time

-you could do Osaka (2 days) Nara (1 day) and Kyoto (2 days). You could use Osaka as a base and make day trips to Kyoto and Nara. Generally the hotels in Osaka are cheaper than Kyoto. Kyoto is just 30 min from Osaka

-you could consider making day trips to Nikko and Kamakura. Yokohama is a nice modern city but I am sure you will find Nikko and Kamakura more interesting

-Shinjuku is a great place to stay in. I recommend either Century Southern Hotel or Shinjuku Prince Hotel. Both are not too expensive and excellent in terms of location

Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Yokohama
Yokohama
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
844 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with my trip in March

You will be in Japan during spring break for schools and that would be a reason that you have a hard time to look for accommodation. You can also look for Shibuya, Shinagawa, and Ueno areas. If you find something suitable, it is better book as it gets harder to find.

Yokohama and Kamakura can be combined in a day trip. You head to Kamakura in the morning and stop by Yokohama bay area on the way back. The bay area is a great place for waling and you can also visit the largest China Town in Japan for dinner maybe.

Mt Fuji is not open when you visit but should be able to see on the way to Tokyo from Kyoto/Osaka.

Mentioned in this post
Shibuya
Shibuya
Tokyo, Japan
Shinagawa
Shinagawa
Tokyo, Japan
Yokohama
Yokohama
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
844 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with my trip in March

I forgot to mention that you might find Disneyland quite packed as your holiday time falls into Japanese spring break... At the same time, you might be lucky to see Cherry Blossom then.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with my trip in March

Thank you both. I will look into all of the places you mentioned.

I thought I had plenty of time for hotels! I was thinking I would book in January. I better get on to it!

Thanks again

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
26,892 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with my trip in March

It's just hard to find hotels that accommodate 4 people in one room in Japan. Look into a serviced apartment such as Hundred Stay or get 2 rooms. The Century Southern Tower has connecting rooms (usually not shown on the web, so you might need to phone or fax the hotel.)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with my trip in March

Thank you! I will try those ones. We would be happy with connecting rooms.

I have planned our holidays before, but this one seems to be the hardest!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with my trip in March

Hi again,

I just have another question..I am going to take some advice from the above and do some day trips out of Osaka to Nara and Koyoto. I am also doing some from Tokyo. We will be going to Yuzawa, and I'm undecided where else.

I have been trying to work out the JR pass, and I am having no luck! I am wondering when it would be best to activate the seven day pass.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with my trip in March

We will be there the same time as you, I'm getting the seven day pass to travel to Kyoto from tokyo , side trip to Nara and Hiroshima then back to tokyo, also you could use the last day to visit nikko from tokyo, we went there last time and it was beautiful, Kyoto and Osaka are side by side, but the pass is worth it for the tokyo-Kyoto- tokyo trip, I'd get onto hyperdia and check the price of the fares for your itinery.

And if its your first trip I'd recommend staying In a traditional inn, we went to yudanaka near nagano last time and saw the snow monkeys, staying overnight there (onsen and tanami mats) , it was one of the highlights, more so than an extra night in tokyo.

Edited: 15 October 2013, 11:35
Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
844 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with my trip in March

From Osaka, you can also consider visiting Himeji. The castle there is said to be one of the most beautiful ones in Japan. it's worth using JR pass for this trip.

10. Re: Help with my trip in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:19