We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Chinatown?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
Which Chinatown?

Which Chinatown is bigger and more interesting, Yokohama or Kobe?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,463 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Chinatown?

Yokohama's Chinatown is much bigger and has more restaurants and shops.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Chinatown?

Is Yokohama harbour night view is better than Kobe, too?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,463 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Chinatown?

Night view at Minato Mirai (Yokohama) is awesome!

http://image.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=top_ga1_sa&p=横浜みなとみらい

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Chinatown?

Of all the Chinatowns in Japan, I give the nod to Nagasaki for the double whammy in food. The Yokohama Chinatown in big, but a bit scattered about. Good restaurants are hit and miss. The Chinatowns in Kobe and Nagasaki are basically one main drag and are more compact. The one in Kobe has interesting street vendors hawking various dim sum.

The Nagasaki Chinatown is famous for champon, which is not purely a Chinese dish. But in addition, Nagasaki has the best 'seafood vegetables on fried noodles' in Japan. It's offered in different sizes if you want a bigger portion (1000-1500 yen). The broth stays thick as it coats the vegetables and seafood and doesn't get watery as the meal goes on. The noodles are fried and burned crispy at the bottom. As expected, the variety and freshness of seafood and vegetables are world class. While you can get this generic Chinese dish in Chinese restaurants all over Japan, I have not eaten better even in China.

In Nagasaki, you don't have to go to Chinatown to get good champon. On the side street next to the bus center is a small restaurant where it's delicious and cheap.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,239 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Chinatown?

Night views in both are nice, so it’ll be a tossup which one to choose over the other.

For Yokohama:

http://tinyurl.com/mamhu6p

For Kobe:

http://tinyurl.com/lqm2pjh

One thing to note about Kobe is, mountains rise sheer in the rear, so affords you with good night spots if you go up. Yes, it’ll be already quite cold at this time of the year…

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,027 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Chinatown?

I can't tell which one is better by food, because that depends on the restaurants. As mentioned, the one in Yokohama is larger and the one in Kobe more compact. I prefer Kobe because the Chinatown can be done as an additional bonus to window-shopping in the Sannomiya-Motomachi arcade. Yokohama is a bit difficult to enjoy unless you've made up what you want to visit, as not everything is within walking distance or a short taxi/train ride. Yokohama has good night view from above, but I personally like Kobe better overall (I was born nearby so I am naturally inclined for Kobe).

www2.plala.or.jp/kiyonobu/desk/kobeyakei1.jpg

Edited: 20 November 2013, 11:27
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,854 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Chinatown?

My preference in terms of being interesting: 1) kobe 2) Nagasaki 3) Yokohama

8. Re: Which Chinatown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:19