We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy inexpensive souvenirs?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy inexpensive souvenirs?

Hi! I'm in Japan now and I'm looking for a place to buy inexpensive souvenirs to bring back to my family and friends. Could you recommend me a place to buy them? We are currently in Kyoto, and then we are planning to go to Hiroshima, Oasaka, Koyasa, Tokyo, Chichibu, Kamakura, Nara, Niko and lastly Hakone. Thank you in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy inexpensive souvenirs?

If you look for inexpensive stuff, the best shot would be 100-yen shop (equivalent to 1 dollar store in Japan). The quality is not bad and they have many Japanese themed stuff so you should be able to find something.

You can look for the most convenient place from the site:

daiso-sangyo.co.jp/english/stores/index.html

There are many similar shops usually in shopping areas as well.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy inexpensive souvenirs?

Thanks you for your advise! What about more quality Japanese stuff for me? :) yesterday, I was looking at the fans and I got two. I paid 1000 yens for each but I was wondering if other areas of Japan sell that type of stuff cheaper than in Kyoto.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy inexpensive souvenirs?

Daiso has Hello Kitty items for 100 yen, and fans for 100 or 200 yen. At other 100 yen stores, I've found tote bags with gramatically incorrect English inspirational phrases printed on them. Daiso has great stationery items.

If you want higher quality, check the gift shops at museums like the Kyoto Museum of Traditional Crafts or the Edo Tokyo Museum.

In Tokyo, Oriental Bazaar offers good values for souvenirs. Also in Tokyo, Bingoya has a lot of traditional crafts, some of which are not expensive.

Tokyu Hands (with stores in Osaka, Hiroshima, Tokyo, etc.) sometimes has specials on souvenir items.

Raak (which has a store in Kyoto Tower, just north of the train station) has printed cloth handkerchiefs and tenugui.

1LH
La Verne, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy inexpensive souvenirs?

I just returned from Japan and found quite a few great and inexpensive souvenirs near the Nishiki Market in Kyoto. More specifically, there were several places on Nishikikoji dori St., east of Karasuma dori St., through the market towards Kawaramachi. One place on the south side of the street had all kinds of Japanese souvenirs (boxes of chop sticks for 300 yen, tea cups for 200 yen, magnets, key chains, fans, oragomi paper for 100 yen, etc.) and seemed like it was a drug store, like a Rite Aid or CVS in the USA, as you make you way to the check stand. I bought many items there that I later saw in other places in Japan for sale for double the price. Best prices for souvenirs I saw in Japan. I also found traditional, wooden Japanese shoes for 800 yen to 1000 yen in that area.

In Tokyo, I found many fun and inexpensive items at Kiddie Land located in the Harajuku area on Omotesando. I was shocked by how many great things I found their too.

I ended up going back to both of the above areas several times during my stay, buying more items each time. It was great and I had so much fun. Not sure if they are the best but they served me well. Enjoy shopping.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy inexpensive souvenirs?

Kiddy Land is very close to Oriental Bazaar.

6. Re: Best place to buy inexpensive souvenirs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:16