We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seishun 18 Ticket

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Seishun 18 Ticket

Hi.

Is the Seishun 18 Ticket still available to buy while in Japan? I know the JR pass has to be bought in advance outside Japan plus having a validity of n consecutive days. This makes it a bad option for me.

I was planning on buying a Seishun 18 ticket when I arrived in Japan (late next week) and use the Dec. 10 - Jan. 10 period to travel. Is this possible. I am over 30 years old but from I read this should not be a problem (despite the name).

Also, Willer Express' bus pass may be bought while in Japan, right?

Thank you in advance.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,710 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seishun 18 Ticket

Please see official website

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/seishun18.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seishun 18 Ticket

Willer Bus pass--remember it has blackout dates

From December 27, 2013 to January 5, 2014

If you are going to actually buy it and use it, why not just do it now before arriving in Japan?

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seishun 18 Ticket

Willer Bus website says it's available to buy anytime from their webpage.

Note that with Seishun 18 you cannot use Shinkansen bullet trains or even Ltd Express this leaves you stuck on much slower trains. It's not ideal for overseas tourists, it takes too long to get anywhere & you have to distinguish which trains are rapid, ordinary and not Ltd express so reading kanji is really important too http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html. If you are a train fan & just want to enjoy slow travel on local trains & it may work for you.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seishun 18 Ticket

I know that I will only be able to take very slow trains but the fact that the JR pass needs to be used on consecutive days is a killer for someone like me that plans on stopping 2 to 4 days in many places. I think the JR pass just wouldn't be cost effective. Plus, I'm not in a hurry in any way …

As for reading kanji being important, I thought that I would be able to manage by just using sites like hiperdia in advance. Was I wrong in thinking this?

Another thing, is it possible to spend the night at the train stations OK n a heated waiting room with chairs? Just in case I get stranded somewhere without any other alternative.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seishun 18 Ticket

You won't be able to spend the night at a train station. Most are closed at night.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seishun 18 Ticket

From what I've read most cheap hotels also close and stop accepting guests rather early. Is this true?

If it is this means that late last minute bookings could be a problem.

If I get stranded unexpectedly what are my options?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,160 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seishun 18 Ticket

Last minute booking will be a huge problem during the New Year's, especially between Dec 30- Jan 3.

If you get stranded in a big city, you can stay in an Internet cafe or a first food restaurant that is open 24 hours. But in a small cities, those are hard to find.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,967 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seishun 18 Ticket

Many if not most Seishun 18 Kippu tickets users are die-hard people around the age of 18+. I was once a user of this ticket, and what I did was sleep in the open corridor of the station outside the closing area in a sleeping bag with newspapers stuffed to keep warm (a book on survival techniques recommended to do so- which really works). This was done in summer and not in winter. Occasionally the police will come and check if you are alright. They are not rough but personally will suggest that you go home, citing murder cases around, and perhaps taking the shoe pattern. This sort of trip is not for everybody- I still remember vividly the horror of extremely large cockroaches on the stairs of Sendai Station, and extremely crowded "key" long distance rapid trains that runs at night like Moonlight Nagara (discontinued) and Moonlight Echigo, full of Seishun 18 Kippu.

What you are recommended to do, if you ever buy into this option, is to know the train schedules and don't go randomly. All Seishun 18 Kippu users try to use it wisely by taking the best trains and act upon schedule for this. Most of them are crazy fan of trains who even memorize the timetable of key trains and carry the timetable book.

Some stations have a tourist information desk that can book hotels at the last minute. If you can't find out- you may consult the police (better than dying on the road from cold).

A much better option, IMHO, is the bus (Willer Express Bus Pass).

Edited: 09 December 2013, 09:23
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seishun 18 Ticket

I am buying the bus pass but was planning on using the Seishun 18 ticket during the blackout dates.

I still hope that planning ahead using hyperdia will be an option.

Sleeping on an open corridor in the winter without much clothing (I'm traveling with only hand luggage) and no sleeping bag is not a viable option.

Besides, I don't know how to speak nor read Japanese.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seishun 18 Ticket

You should be booking your accomodations now for the dates around New Years...there's no reason you cannot freewheel the train part of with the Seishun pass and using hyperdia, but accomodations will be the key to an pleasant or unpleasant trip.