We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February 2014 Vacation

Boston...
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
February 2014 Vacation

Hi Everyone:

Just wanted to see what there is to see in Japan during February - I am heading to Tokyo for work in February for work for 3 weeks and cannot resist going early to explore. I've already been to Tokyo, Kyoto, and Sapporo - My husband is coming with me and have only been to Tokyo. Besides the winter snow boarding in Hokkaido, what would you recommend? Is it a popular time for hot springs in the Hakone area? When I try to search on where to go, the usual tourist areas pop up so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Elle

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February 2014 Vacation

In February the Ume blossoms (plum) are beginning to bloom. Personally I love these flowers over and above Sakura! There will be some festivals on at temples celebrating the blossoms and the early springtime.

You could head up Nagano, great skiing up there, and a chance to go to see the 'snow' monkeys.

Also think about Osaka/ Nara. Osaka is a great city, and Nara has beautiful historical temples etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February 2014 Vacation

is nagano more of a day trip or two?

Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: February 2014 Vacation

Since you've been to Sapporo before, you probably know about the Sapporo Snow Festival. This year it's scheduled for February 5th through 11th. Personally, i wouldn't make the trip to Hokkaido just for that, but if you're gonna be snowboarding in the area anyway (and yes, I WOULD make the trip to Hokkaido for the snow!).

Aaron

http://bigsushilittlefishes.wordpress.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February 2014 Vacation

I think we may go for the Nagano trip for snowboarding and onsens. Any private onsens recommended? I saw the snow festival in Sapporo come up but I don't want to go all the way there just for that. I'm not sure we would have time to board in Hokkaido. :(

Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: February 2014 Vacation

Can't comment much on Nagano, except to offer that my ski buddies in Tokyo frequently head to Hakuba, in Nagano prefecture. I understand you might not want to make the trip to Sapporo, but i will just say that a) airfare from Tokyo to Sapporo is usually quite reasonable as it's a very popular route, and b) you can catch a bus from the airport to Niseko.

Just saying...

Aaron

http://bigsushilittlefishes.wordpress.com/

6. Re: February 2014 Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:17