We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Japan - Niseko or Hakuba?

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Skiing in Japan - Niseko or Hakuba?

Hi, I'm planning a ski trip to Japan at the end of Feb for 10 days with 2 friends. This is a one of a lifetime trip as we're travelling all the way from the UK and want to make sure we pick the right resort. We are all 20 something intermediate skiers and would like to stay somewhere with a fun atmosphere. Can anyone advise me on which resort is better...Niseko or Hakuba? Does anyone know any good hotels/apartments to stay in? Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
717 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in Japan - Niseko or Hakuba?

Definitely I would recommend Niseko! It offers one of the best snow conditions in the world and wider areas to ski. Hakuba would be good if you have only for a few days but courses are more technical.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in Japan - Niseko or Hakuba?

I don't think you can compare easily as Hakuba is strictly an inbounds, no offpiste resort, with a variety of long groomers to ski. There's also at least 8 resorts to visit, most by free ski buses. Niseko is somewhat the opposite, with most higher end skiing being in the offpiste powder in trees or the out of bounds gates. There are four ski areas at Niseko, with buses available to other ski resorts, although car hire makes travel more convenient. For a Feb-March trip Niseko is the better choice, as rain can be a problem in Spring as temperatures get warmer.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing in Japan - Niseko or Hakuba?

Hirafu is the most popular area in Niseko, although it can be quiet in Spring. For information on Niseko see:

http://www.powderlife.com/

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
915 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing in Japan - Niseko or Hakuba?

Niseko for your first trip.

You'll be back!

5. Re: Skiing in Japan - Niseko or Hakuba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 05:18