We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel during Golden Week

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel during Golden Week

Hi all,

I am travelling to Japan from Uk and land on the morning of the 26th April 2014 at Narita. It is very important that I am able to leave for Kyoto in the morning of the next day and I have concerns that the Shinkansen trains will be fully booked due to Golden Week.

I will be pruchasing a Japan Rail voucher which I won't be able to exhange for the pass until I am there, so I was wondering if there is a way to reserve seats from UK using just the voucher??

If this is not possible, is it likely that the train is going to be full if i don't get chance to reserve a seat until the afternoon when i can get to a Midori no Madoguchi office? Is there one at Narita?

Many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
664 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel during Golden Week

Even if you cannot book a seat, you would be able to get on shinkansen. At Narita Airport, you can check at the reservation office (Midonri no Madoguchi) the condition and book trains to Tokyo station and from Tokyo to Kyoto.

I think the following weekend would be the peak for the Golden Week so probably you would be okay. Unless the voucher is verified and exchanged with actual pass, you can't book.

Good luck!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel during Golden Week

Unreserved section japan-talk.com/jt/new/shinkansen-nonreserved…

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel during Golden Week

Thanks for your help! Do you know how far in advance you cna reserve seats? If the weekend after is the peak time, I will be travelling to osaka so would like to reserve those trains as well!

4. Re: Travel during Golden Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:17