We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Osaka & Tokyo some time this year 2014 and was wondering does the JR Pass cover all train lines/rides in Osaka, Kyoto & Tokyo as well? I'm planning a 8 days 7 nights trip. I'm also hoping that the JR Pass is valid for the journey from Osaka -> Kyoto -> Tokyo, or directly from Osaka -> Tokyo (as I might or might not include Kyoto in my trip)

My rough itinerary as for now would be:

Day 1: Osaka

Day 2: Osaka

Day 3: Osaka -> Kyoto (is JR Pass valid for this journey? any additional charges)

Day 4: Kyoto -> Tokyo (was planning to take the overnight bus maybe? valid with JR Pass?)

Day 5: Tokyo

Day 6: Tokyo

Day 7: Tokyo

Day 8: Tokyo -> Back home

Any kind help, advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,024 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

Since you're arriving at Osaka and leaving from Tokyo, the 7 day JR Pass is not going to pay off. JR Pass covers JR trains only, not subways and private lines.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,675 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

westjr.co.jp/global/… - is a good value.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

Thanks so much for your help. I was thinking now, what if I had to travel from Tokyo -> Osaka, and Osaka -> Tokyo, would that make up to the cost of the JR Pass? Or I still would not save much with the pass? Thanks again.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

Thanks a lot for the useful tip ;) I will check that out.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,022 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

When does it pay off?

As a rule of thumb, the 7-day pass costs about the same as regular shinkansen tickets for a round trip between Tokyo and Kyoto. It will not pay off if you travel less than that. The timetable website Hyperdia is a good tool to calculate regular ticket costs. The access pages of destinations in our sightseeing guide also contain lots of fare information. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

Thanks for the advice, tips and heads-up. I'll do up more research on this and will see what option comes out best, thanks so much for all the help guys. :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
24 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

What would you recommend?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,675 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

kokua711 - recommend what?

9. Re: Is JR Pass valid for all trains in Osaka & Tokyo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 05:18