We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First class JR pass

Pacific Coast...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
First class JR pass

Is the 1 st class pass worth the money? In particular does every train have a first class section? Does one class tend to have more available seats than another? To sum up I'm not sure wha the class buys you (apart from the obvious).

cheers

Kerrry

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First class JR pass

If you think business class seat on the airplane is worth the money, then yes it will be.

Pacific Coast...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First class JR pass

Thanks Nao. I think I have found what I am looking for through the following link

jprail.com/travel-informations/worthwhile-bu…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First class JR pass

In Japan it isn't called 1st class, it's called Green Car and it gives the following advantages

1) the seating is 2-2 not 3-2 or 3-3 in economy

2) it's a lot less likely to be booked out especially in busy periods

3) the seat pitch is greater

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First class JR pass

Kerry, in Japan it's called Green Car on shinkansen bullet trains & special Ltd express trains. Having travelled on both over the years I can tell you that on shinkansen there's not a huge difference between Ordinary Car and Green on shinkansen. Note that 'Ordinary car' is more comfortable & roomier than economy class airline seats. But if you are happy to spend that bit extra go Green...

The most notable differences are:

There are fewer seats in Green cars so it tends to be quieter. Passengers aren't exactly rowdy on Japanese trains (unless you are unlucky to be seated near a group of young Australian males going on a skiing holiday.) Most are business travellers who sleep. And you are not allowed to talk on mobile phones in seating areas anyway.

The fit out and carpet can look different in Green Car - some shinkansen to Kyushu have a relaxing 'club lounge feel' in the Green car.

The seats are slightly better in Green Car, you get a footrest & they give you a hand towel.

The food trolley comes to you first.

Some have private compartments.

On some Ltd Express trains in Hokkaido you get a complimentary drink in the Green car.

If you have the money go a step above Green Car to 'Gran Class' on the Tohoku shinkansen ( I haven't personally tried this yet but I'm planning to soon). It's a premium service, includes all alcohol & meals http://jreast-shinkansen.com/granclass/#

There are other express trains in Japan that offer a type of Green car service - Romance Cars have seats with panorama windows & private booths. Trains like 'Yufuin no Mori' have a section with stylish wooden Japanese interior with mood lighting & recorded birdsong. It's quite a nice experience & views were pretty.

If you want to go touring in style & are cashed up, the Seven Stars now runs through Kyushu & has deluxe suites onboard cruisetrain-sevenstars.jp/en/train_info.html

Pacific Coast...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First class JR pass

Thank you Elly for your very comprehensive reply... it should be of use to others also.

Cheers

Kerry

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,484 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First class JR pass

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k5196…

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,484 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First class JR pass

I always buy the Green Pass. The bottom line, if you can afford it, buy the Green. I think it's worth every yen.

8. Re: First class JR pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:18