We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narita to Kyoto and back

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
Narita to Kyoto and back

I will be arriving in Narita around 1 PM and plan to take the train to Kyoto the same day. I understand that the best option is to take the Narita Express to Shinagawa and then take one of the fast trains to Kyoto.

I also need to return to Narita from Kyoto to catch a 3 PM flight a three days later

A few questions

1. Should I buy Japan Rail passes?

2. If I should buy passes, should I buy the passes in the USA?

3. Any recommendations for a hotel near the Kyoto train station? I heard that the train station is pretty central.

3. To catch a 3 PM flight from Narita, can I take a train from Kyoto the same morning or should I plan on coming in the night before and stay somewhere close to Shinagawa?

Thanks in advance. This is my first trip to the Far East, so I am a novice

Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,980 reviews
from US$157.10*
Mt Fuji Day Trip including Lake Ashi...
898 reviews
from US$129.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
861 reviews
from US$66.60*
Kyoto Rail Tour by Bullet Train from...
288 reviews
from US$299.50*
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narita to Kyoto and back

1. I think you might consider N'EX + SUICA option (SUICA can be used also in the Kansai Region) and Japanican Shinkansen e-voucher for Kyoto (from Tokyo). This should cost less than the JR Pass and use can take the Nozomi instead of Hikari.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex

www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK

2. If you decide to buy the JR Pass instead (but for just Kyoto Nara from Kanto Area, the Pass won't pay off economically), buy it in USA, as it can't be bought in Japan from the offices.

3. You can take an early morning train on the same day. The Nozomi just takes 2 hr 15 min between Kyoto and Tokyo (a few minutes less for Shinagawa).

Edited: 20 January 2014, 20:13
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,840 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narita to Kyoto and back

I think you should fly as it's cheaper, faster, and more convenient.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,119 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narita to Kyoto and back

If you are going to go straight to Kyoto after arriving at NRT, then I agree with bibimbob that flying is a better choice. I am not sure if you ticket has been booked so you can't add on the trip to the same itinerary. Even if you have, book a flight on the same airline alliance to ensure smooth transit. Do the same for the return.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,840 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narita to Kyoto and back

Even purchasing separate tickets on ANA/JAL, it costs only 10000 - 13000 each way (Yosoko fare, Visit japan fare, experience Japan fare, Welcome to Japan fare, Star Alliance air pass)

5. Re: Narita to Kyoto and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 06:18