We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Japan

Whalley, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
5 Days in Japan

Can anybody help. Husband and myself will be travelling to Japan next year for 6 days (more or less). Had thought 2 days in Toyko. 2 in Kyoto plus 1 overnight stay in Gion, plus 2 days in Hiroshima. Had thought in Kyoto Sangusenganda Hall, golden Pavilion, KiyomizumTemple, Shugakuin Imperial,Villa. In Hiroshima, Peace Museum, Peace Park, Atomic Bomb Dome, Children's Peace Monument and Mitaki Temple. In Gion Nanzen JimTemple, philosophers Walking Path. Apologies if all seems a bit vague but want to give ourselves enough time and do,things ourselves, not group people, so obviously this will mean getting to grips with transport system. We do Like some temples and museums but not overdose. Not big shoppers but like things to do with food. What would others recommend. I know I have lots more research to do but looking for a kick start.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Japan

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,334 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days in Japan

You plans actually sound fine overall although you have to make sure you budget for travel time as well. The Tokyo part might seem a bit rushed. Normally, with just 6 days, many visitors are happy with visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, and perhaps a sidetrip to Nara. You will get more mileage out of your JR Pass mileage heading to Hiroshima, but it will also mean more time on the trains.

Whalley, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days in Japan

Thanks for that, yes hubby says we need to allow ourselves more travelling time so will bear that in mind. We are going to purchase rail passes, can you tell me if these can be purchased on arrival, I think am right in saying they have to be authorised in a machine, can this be done an d then used immediately. Silly question I know but like you say it's all time. I will have hundreds more questions so you will probably get fed up with me. Regards

Whalley, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days in Japan

Thanks, good site

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,334 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days in Japan

A nationwide JR Pass exchange voucher must be purchased overseas prior to your arrival in Japan. Once you have arrived, head to one of the JR Pass exchange offices with your passport to effect the exchange. You will find details at the JR Pass website:

http://japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

Whalley, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Days in Japan

Thanks for info , will make sure we do that

7. Re: 5 Days in Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:18