We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for overseas currency / cash?

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for overseas currency / cash?

We are after Japanese YEN and am just looking through the myriad of google places that it throws at me.

I know to book it early (we are off in around a month) so just wondered if i'd missed any recommendations here? - We have been told to take cash is preferable

Thanks

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for overseas currency / cash?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2196.html

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for overseas currency / cash?

The usual and best advice is to use a combination of methods so as to minimise risk. ATM's give a very good exchange rate and are best when used with a "Fee Free card" and preloaded before departure. However, there have been ongoing issues with Mastercard & ATM's - Visa is preferred.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 22:38
Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for overseas currency / cash?

As the above-linked Japan-Guide article says, you can take out money at the Japan Post ATMs. (Unless you have a Mastercard!)

I personally tried to change CAD cash for JPY recently, and couldn't find any reasonable rates at any banks. In the best case scenario I would have lost 10% to foreign exchange and service fees! I ended up saving the cash and just using my Canadian bank card (with Plus network) at the Japan Post ATMs. This option was much cheaper.

As you're coming from the UK (and not the US), I would say you'll have the same problem with GBP and would therefore advise the ATM route. Although definitely bring some cash just in case!

Hope that helps!

Mike

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,492 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for overseas currency / cash?

Cash has the worst rates. and situation with CAD could have been easily mitigated by using traveller's cheques, or USD T/C (the best rate). As I posted many times, even if you have to pay a fee to buy USD T/C, you will still be ahead compared to using cash. http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/

Edited: 24 February 2014, 18:03
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,492 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for overseas currency / cash?

though note that exchanging T/C seems to be problematic at the airports lately. Doing it in town takes 20 minutes per transaction. ATM gives the next best rates for tourists.

6. Re: Best place for overseas currency / cash?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 07:16