We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osaka or Singapore? Which is more expensive to visit?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Osaka or Singapore? Which is more expensive to visit?

Hi everybody!

I'm planning to visit Osaka or Singapore for 4 full days this coming end of March.

Excluding airfare and hotel, which is more expensive to visit?

Expensive in terms of transportation, food (I'm planning to eat where locals go or markets) and entrance fee to tourist spots etc.

Thank you!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Osaka or Singapore? Which is more expensive to visit?

I meant Kyoto, NOT Osaka.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osaka or Singapore? Which is more expensive to visit?

I would guess Singapore (I haven't been there myself)

I think Osaka would actually be cheaper than Kyoto in terms of food, and selection... well... Kyoto is a bit more formal/ traditional... tofu, kaiseki... 'fancier' foods... whereas Osaka there are 1000s of tiny, hole-in-the-wall places to eat a huge variety of 'standard' foods... okonomiyaki, takoyaki, izakaya etc etc...

But that is entirely my opinion, others may have different ideas.

Expenses also depend on your interests... you could spend alot on 'big' tourist sights... USJ (Universal Studios Japan), geisha 'dinners', visiting many temples/ shrines/ museums... or you could spend little, visiting local temples/ shrines, walking and exploring backstreets or mountainsides...

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,380 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Osaka or Singapore? Which is more expensive to visit?

I think it depends on what you do, what you eat, where you stay. Airfare from US could be more expensive for Singapore.

I think in both places you can keep it fairly cheap or splurge, according to your preferences. Prices shouldn't be so different from US standards. A Big Mac costs a Big Mac.

Singapore is a city-state about the size of Awajishima Island on Osaka Bay, where as Japan is geographically quite stretched out. Transportation can be expensive if you travel thousands of kilometers within Japan. If you are landing at Kansai Airport in Osaka Prefecture just to visit Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka, it won't cost much.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 12:34
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Osaka or Singapore? Which is more expensive to visit?

I'm from Singapore, and I've visited Kyoto and Osaka quite a number of times.

Here is my opinion.

Food and transport wise, Singapore is much cheaper.

But then, sights wise, there are more historical sights in Kyoto than Singapore.

Admission fees to shrines in Kyoto are usually about 500-600yen, and for Singapore, if you intend to visit places like Zoo, Universal Studios, Singapore Flyer...etc, then admissions to these places will be much higher than compared to Kyoto's 500-600yen per shrine.

As for weather, Singapore is hot and humid all year round. Whereas for Kyoto in March, the weather will be cooling.

-----

travelblog: http://goawaysam.blogspot.com/

Edited: 02 March 2014, 19:02
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Osaka or Singapore? Which is more expensive to visit?

For possible interest, here are two responses to the somewhat (but not exactly) similar post on the Singapore forum. As a summary - 2 decades ago Japan would be much more expensive for many-most aspects of a visit. But after 2 decades of deflation (and increased value) in Japan, and several decades of skyrocketing costs in Singapore, the overlaps in costs are significant. IMHO, someone with equal understanding of values in both areas can do well in both places.

tripadvisor.com/…56606906

tripadvisor.com/…56624791

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Osaka or Singapore? Which is more expensive to visit?

The Economist Intelligence Unit has recently released its latest annual cost of living survey. According to this, Singapore is now the most expensive city in the world, with Osaka at no. 14

…wsj.com/scene/…

www.numbeo.com is also a helpful source of information when comparing costs of two cities.

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp…

7. Re: Osaka or Singapore? Which is more expensive to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:19