We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kansai Airport To Tokyo

A
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Kansai Airport To Tokyo

Hi, initially the plan was doing a trip to Osaka-Kyoto-Nara but would like to consider doing Tokyo-Mt Fuji trip instead.

What's the best way to get to Tokyo from Kansai Airport? Looking at the site, it says most convenient would be using the Shinkansen but that would cost around 24k yen?:

Japanican offers an E-Voucher for a round trip by Nozomi or Hikari from Tokyo to Osaka and back plus a 1-day Osaka Unlimited Pass for only 24,000 yen. The return journey has to be done within seven days of the outward journey. The E-Voucher can be used by foreign tourists only.

or

Japanican's Shinkansen Tour travel package combines a round trip from Tokyo to Osaka and accommodation in Osaka from 24,500 yen. In the opposite direction, i.e. for a side trip from Osaka to Tokyo, the similar Tokyo Train & Hotel Package is available from 24,300 yen.

Tokyo Great Cycling Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Cycle Kyoto
Bike Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Tokyo Urban Adventures
Food Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Kyoto FooDrink Tour -Japan Wonder Travel
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kansai Airport To Tokyo

From Kansai Airport, the most convenient and perhaps the cheapest is flying to Tokyo.

Osaka to Tokyo is about 556km. The train fare is not cheap (at least for me) but not disproportionately expensive for Japanese cost standards. Railway has advantage from city-center to city-center so rail fare can be a bit more expensive than airfare, but Kansai Airport is quite far away from central Osaka.

So I suggest flying. Starflyer is LCC that has services between Kansai and Haneda airports.

A
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kansai Airport To Tokyo

Thanks Yobeekool. I guess doing a Osaka-Kyoto-Nara trip would be more worth it than the Tokyo one.

Planning on going back to Japan next year, what's the best way to get to Kyoto from Tokyo? I can see round trip tickets via Shinkanshen are over 20k yen which is almost the same as the 7 day unlimited JR Pass.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,414 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kansai Airport To Tokyo

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html

Considering from market share, Shinkansen is the best, Bus is the second, Plane is the 3rd.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kansai Airport To Tokyo

The best way is the Shinkansen. Kyoto to Tokyo is about 514km, so the tickets will cost accordingly. Not extraordinarily expensive though not cheap. About 96% of travelers between Kyoto and Tokyo travel by Shinkansen, as it will take only 2 hours 15min from city-center to city-center.

But, if you want to keep it cheap, you can go on a night bus, which will take about 7-8 hours. It will cost about half the price of the train, around 5,000 yen.

Puratto Kodama is a bargain deal on Shinkansen, booked before the date of travel. You'll need to take the Kodama service which stops at all stations, taking over three hours (I think).

nihonshock.com/2010/…

Edited: 02 March 2014, 08:44
A
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kansai Airport To Tokyo

Alright, thanks guys!

Sad I couldn't swap my early November (Kansai airport, 2014) trip to Tokyo instead of Kyoto. Was hoping on booking the right date next year (2015) for the autumn foliage (late November). But seeing that Shinkansen cost the same price as the domestic airplane tickets which would mean increase in cost and extra hassle of commute, it wouldn't be worth it. Haha.

I guess would just have to come back to Kyoto after a few years.

Thanks again.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kansai Airport To Tokyo

It's your choice, but if you are coming to Japan for just a week or so, many people would fin themselves "full up" and have no room to digest Tokyo in the foliage season. I know cities and countries are all different, but you don't have to try and do Shanghai and Beijing or Venice and Rome all at once.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 15:38
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kansai Airport To Tokyo

Fly. Cost: 10000 - 13000 one way on air pass type products.

Even cheaper would be add-on fare (as low as 100USD return), depending on where your international ticket originates.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kansai Airport To Tokyo

Consider Japan's domestic airline Peach Airlines? Usually their fares from Kansai Airport to Tokyo is cheaper than a 1way Shinkansen.

http://www.flypeach.com/home.aspx

But then, if you take into consideration the extra time required for clearing immigration, boarding, actual flight duration, and the 1hr train ride from Narita Airport to Tokyo city center....then taking Shinkansen is actually faster and more convenient.

If you are taking a 2 way Shinkansen ride between Osaka region and Tokyo (i.e. Osaka to Tokyo, and Tokyo back to Osaka eventually), then I would probably recommend that you get the 7days JR Pass (28,300yen).

------

travelblog: http://goawaysam.blogspot.com/

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,283 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kansai Airport To Tokyo

Between city centers, it's best to take the trains.

Flying should only be considered if you are immediately connecting from an international incoming flight, or if you are going outbound, your domestic flight is followed by an immediate connection to an international flight.

10. Re: Kansai Airport To Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:19