We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocket Wifi with US cellphone and Suica deals with Bus?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Pocket Wifi with US cellphone and Suica deals with Bus?

I have two pretty unrelated questions but figured I would just ask in one thread since the members of this community seem to be very knowledgable on all things Japan.

1) We have a friend that told us pocket wifi doesn't work very well with American phones. I'm not sure I believe him because I've done a lot of research on here and I have really seen no issues with connecting a US cellphone or tablet to the pocket wifi. My wife and I are both getting Samsung Galaxy S5's when they come out in April and traveling to Tokyo in May. Are there any issues with US electronics connecting through wireless means (specifically, pocket wifi) in Japan?

2) There is a great deal (Suica + NEX) that allows you to basically get a one way ticket from Narita to Shinjuku (or most of Tokyo, I think) for 1500yen. Is there anything similar with the limo bus + Suica? We are going to have one big suitcase that we will ship between hotels while we're there, but we are going to physically bring it to our first hotel (Sunroute Plaza) from the airport, and would prefer to take the bus so we do not have to worry about limited space on a train. Are there any good deals that combine Suica + limo bus?

Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,530 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pocket Wifi with US cellphone and Suica deals with Bus?

-Is there anything similar with the limo bus + Suica?

No. Only Limobus & Metro Pass package is available. www.limousinebus.co.jp/discount_ticket/en/

You can always buy IC card only at 2000yen, as Japanese people do so.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pocket Wifi with US cellphone and Suica deals with Bus?

Appreciated. I'm a little confused by the wording on their site. For the "round trip" option, do you have to use the two metro passes on consecutive days, and for the return trip how long are you able to wait until coming back? I'm assuming you don't have to depart the airport on day 1, use the metro on day 2 and day 3, and then return on day 4?

Also, does anyone have feedback on the pocket wifi? We're trying to figure out now if we need to rent a cellphone or if ours will sufice. We don't need talk or text, we just want data / gps.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pocket Wifi with US cellphone and Suica deals with Bus?

>>Tokyo Metro Open Ticket (1-day: 600 or 710 yen; 2-day: 980 yen)

Unlimited use of the nine Tokyo Metro subway lines, but not the four Toei subway lines and JR trains. A regular one day pass costs 710 yen, while a tourist version is available for 600 yen (one day) and 980 yen (two consecutive days). The tourist version is only available to foreign tourists at Narita Airport and Haneda Airport.<<

When you get the combo, you would need to use the Tokyo Metro card or open ticket from the consecutive days after starting to use it. Returning date to the airport and flying back home is another matter.

About wi-fi. We're left clueless because we're not all Americans using the same telephone device with the same pocket wi-fi service. I have almost always been using a pocket wi-fi; I have no major complaints about it (E-Mobile LTE serivce; product Huwaei GL06P). You can bring an ipad or laptop if you own one and you normally won't have any trouble browsing and watching Youtube HD in the cities. If you don't need to talk or text regularly, then you might not even need anything. Many hotels have free or per pay computers for guests. Asking local people for directions might be quicker and straightforward than GPS.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 16:05
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pocket Wifi with US cellphone and Suica deals with Bus?

Not sure if you got a reply on your WiFi question. We are currently here in Tokyo - took a 2-day side trip to Hiroshima - have 3 iPhone 5s, kindle, an old iPad - all hooked up to our portable WiFi WiMax2+ which we are borrowing from a friend here. It is the total way to go. It has worked in both places, on the Shinkansen, ferries etc. I cannot say for your phone exactly, but we are from Chicago ... this is fabulous! The amt of texting, messaging, email checking and GPS usage we use a total life saver. Good Luck and enjoy!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pocket Wifi with US cellphone and Suica deals with Bus?

We had no trouble connecting 5 US devices simultaneously (iPhones, iPads, iPod Touch, etc.) to our Global Advanced Communications pocket wifi except where there was no service (far eastern Hokkaido and some rural mountain areas). Agree with ALT-Chicago, it was so valuable to be connected while between public wifi areas especially to check hyperdia for trains and routes.

The pocket wifi was waiting for us at our first hotel and at the end of our trip we just popped it into the return envelope and put it into the post office box at Narita. Our pocket wifi was much faster and more secure (built in firewall) than public wifi.

FYI, if you decide not to go with a pocket wifi, know that some hotels have LAN connections rather than wifi so check that out when chosing your hotels.

Great little device and we think well worth the cost!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pocket Wifi with US cellphone and Suica deals with Bus?

We did receive some similar feedback but thanks for the response. At first I had reserved to pick up at Narita airport so that we could have it ready for our transportation to Shinjuku. I instead changed my mind because I wanted to avoid a situation in which we would be delayed and arrive after the post office had closed. They changed my order to deliver to our hotel (Sunroute Plaza). I got the unlimited with an extra battery for our entire trip and it was only about $94. Definitely worth the price in my opinion for the convienance.

7. Re: Pocket Wifi with US cellphone and Suica deals with Bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 05:15