We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money here or in Japan

Surfers Paradise...
10 posts
Save Topic
Changing money here or in Japan

Hi I'm off to japan in 2 weeks and just curious whether to change my money here in Australia or do it in japan?

What is the best way to get a good exchange rate and I have my credit card with me, however prefer not to use it.

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing money here or in Japan

Did you search the forum? Generalities aside, to compare you'd have to know exactly what your banks charge, and what the banks charge in Japan.

Or, if you plan on only modest spending, you can be like me and not worry about saving just a few dollars.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing money here or in Japan

If considering using ATMs with a debit card, see this important information: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing money here or in Japan

For best exchange rates:

tripadvisor.com.au/…56599050

Edited: 11 March 2014, 22:46
Oz
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing money here or in Japan

Others may disagree but I would suggest having some yen with you before you arrive .

It is best to have access to several money options e.g. - credit card, debit card and of course cash.

I have experienced only on a few occasions where my cards did not work .

I am travelling in May this year and I locked in my yen yesterday,

Melbourne
Level Contributor
295 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing money here or in Japan

The exchange rate is good right now ( at the money changer in Melbourne; but you already know it fluctuates depending on the strength of the A$) . It fell considerably a couple of weeks ago. I also find you get a better rate at the money changer (if you have money changers similar to the ones along SwanstonSt, Melb) compared to the bank or Travellex. They are quite competitive.

I do suggest you change and have some cash available to pay for trains, bus, taxi , beer or whatever on arrival.

I didn't get a good cash rate in Kyoto compared to the rate in Melbourne a couple of mths ago.

Had no choice as I ran out of cash. Anyway, this is my based on my own experience.

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing money here or in Japan

I don't know about Australia, but with my bank ATM card from here in the USA, I got the best overall exchange including the exchange rate and charges possible for me at Japanese post office and 7-11 ATMs. Exchange rates and fees to buy foreign currency in the USA are awful compared to ATMs.

Surfers Paradise...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing money here or in Japan

Thanks everyone for the responses. Just curious what sort of exchange rate is people getting from the atms at the moment?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,822 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing money here or in Japan

narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/index.html

Surfers Paradise...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing money here or in Japan

Thanks for that Dave, bit confused on the exchange rates. So for the Aussie dollar I'll get 82 yen per dollar as I'm buying it or is it 94?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing money here or in Japan

Top of the table says:

Sell (JPY -> foreign currency)

Buy (foreign currency -> JPY)