We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

Perth, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

I am going to Japan this coming May for 14 days traveling on JR pass from Tokyo to Hiroshima and loads of places in between. I have a new iPad Air wifi with unlocked SIM card. Do I need to just hire a sim or just a wifi portable device or both. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. I have downloaded maps off line and offline train apps and will use hotel wifi and JR rail wifi where possible but would like to have internet as backup for maps and self guided tours etc I would also like to be able to send the odd SMS or email. I have an iPhone but don't necessarily need to have access to it. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

Try using global advanced communications. I've used them three times. No deposit required, fast enough and reliable Internet while out and about. I just reserved mine for my trip in April. 9000 Yen for three weeks unlimited. It's even being delivered to the hotel

Don't worry about offline maps. I tried this and it sucked. A 75mbps wifi modem is what I hired. Portable wifi, best thing ever. Download google maps and connect your iPad to the wifi device in your bag as you walk around. Google maps is fantastic. Tells you what train, the time it comes and gives you walking directions.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,692 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

SIM card and pocket WiFi are different products, one costing 2X as much as the other, and provide different service levels. I am cheap and bought SIM numerous times, 4000 for 14 days delivered. Used it for online maps, email, sending messages, VoIP, train schedule and connections, hotel bookings, etc.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

I purchased my own wifi device which I have (and will) use in Japan, UK-Europe, NZ and for domestic travel.

It needs to be unlocked then you can arrange a prepaid wifi sim each time. You can connect 5 devices to it (laptop, iPad, smartphone). See: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k5…

Melbourne
Level Contributor
287 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

If you decide to get a portable wifi device, coles is selling it right now for $29. I concur with post #3 above -blutek, this method is reliable & can be used all over the world.

Just make sure you obtain the unlock code (free of charge) and you can use the device in Japan & elsewhere.

Alternatively use your iphone as a hotspot. Buy a sim for the phone.

Both your iphone & ipad should have been unlocked.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

When I bought a portable wifi device I obtained the unlock code. I unlocked it and confirmed it with the telco. Problem is, when I got to japan and put the rental sim in it didn't work, the device was still locked! Even after confirming it was before I left. Just saying this is obviously a possibility.

Perth, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

Thanks everyone I have decided to go with wifi device through Global as suggested by peterhenderson270784 this was my thinking originally and the company I was researching. Just the confirmation that I only need the device is all I need. Cheers everyone enjoy Japan as I will.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

I just traveled to Japan for 3 weeks and use the Aust Post TravelSim and was really happy with it. You can lock in your rates and daily data limit. Japan did have a lot of free WiFi around, but was still good to call home.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

Hi all

I'll be going to Japan in a couple of weeks and am looking for data options. Does anyone know whether an unlocked Telstra 4G portable Wi-Fi router will work in Japan? Trying to figure out the best cheap options .

Thanks

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

My unlocked Telstra 4G (MF91) worked well in Japan using the B-mobile visitor sim (14 day expiry). I used the Telstra sim to set up the new settings (APN) on my Telstra WiFi home page, then swapped sims. It should work with any of the prepaid mobile broadband services (just order the right size sim). I had already used an Optus sim before departure.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 01:41
10. Re: Portable wifi device or sim or both for my unlocked ipad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:15