We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which combo of train passes?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which combo of train passes?

I am doing the following and need advice about which train passes to get.

KIX to Osaka area for 3 nights with a friend

Day trips to NARA and KYOTO's Saihoji Tera and area

Kyoto for 2 nights to visit typical attractions and maybe take a full day tour.

KOBE...MAIKO near Akashi Bridge for 3 nights to visit friends and old living place.

KINOSAKI 2 nights

KOBE 6 nights

KIX in day 17 for home.

I will be visiting Hiroshima and Miyajima on one of the last days from Shin Kobe station.

Which passes?

JR Rail 7 or 14 for Kinosaki AND Hiroshima?

Sanyo Area for Hiroshima with Kansai Area Wide for Kinosaki?

Regular Kansai Area OR Kansai Area Thru Pass for flexibility and site seeing discounts?

Please help?

Thank you!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,270 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which combo of train passes?

the cheapest is 4 day Kansai wide area pass to Kinosaki and Hiroshima and ICOCA card for pther destinations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which combo of train passes?

Thank you. The 4 day Kansai Wide Area Pass lists Kinosaki, but it does NOT list Hiroshima. Is that the reason for ICOCA card? I appreciate the help, really!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,270 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which combo of train passes?

according to sammy at this forum. it is cheaper to buy Kansai wide area pass AND individual tickets Okayama-Hiroshima-Okayama than to buy Sanyo area pass.

The reason you should buy ICOCA is most rail passes does not pay off for urban transportation within Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe and Nara.

some rail passes such as Hankyu tourist pass, Osaka subway 1 day pass, Osaka unlimited pass sometimes pay off. but still it is convenient to have ICOCA card.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which combo of train passes?

Thank you! This is the BIGGEST help ever!

I can buy 12 days worth of the Kansai Wide Area for $210, pay for Okayama-Hiroshima-back to Okayama when I go that way (whenever that is)... and also buy Icoca card good for 2 weeks! It also offers flexibility!!! I obviously do not need the Hakura half of the combo because my Kansai Wide Area Pass covers trips back and forth to KIX. OMG. You are awesome!!!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,270 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which combo of train passes?

You will LOSE money if you use Kansai wide area pass to get around Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe and Nara only.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which combo of train passes?

Why? It is $70 for 4 days. Do I only need Kansai Wide Area for 4 days? When I visit Kinosaki? And then again for when I visit Hiroshima? I might not be able to make those trips back to back and will need at least 2 of the Kansai Wide Area passes.... Do you suggest ICOCA for all other travel based on my itinerary?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,941 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which combo of train passes?

First, it's best to post in Yen (even though USD to JPY is relatively easy at this point, fluctuating around 100 during the recent months) since locals and frequent travelers are used to thinking in Yen.

The Sanyo Area Pass does not cover a ride to Kinosaki.

The Kansai Wide Area Pass requires some regional traveling. The Pass will definitely pay off for roundtrip Kinosaki travel. As long as you know you will return within 4 days, then it's a great deal. Otherwise, single tickets (or ICOCA) will be cheaper for short hops between Osaka, Nara, Kyoto and Kobe.

To use fixed term (consecutive-day) rail pass effectively requires advance planning if you want to maximize savings. You can't have both flexibility and save money at the same time. Therefore, if you can't include Hiroshima within the same 4-day period as Kinosaki, you might as well consider a 7-day JR Pass.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which combo of train passes?

Thank you.

I will not activate Kansai Area Wide until I go to either Hiroshima (paying RT for Okayama and Hiroshima) or to Kinosaki first.

Do I buy ICOCO in Japan and fill it as I need to?

It seems that I can do 2 Kansai Wide for more flexibility for when I decide to go to the farthest points. 7000¥ for 4 days * 2 = 14000¥ still cheaper than ever paying outright...and maybe I will take a spontaneous day trip somewhere?

9. Re: Which combo of train passes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:16