We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which festivals and events to do (27th july - 21st august)

Leuven
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which festivals and events to do (27th july - 21st august)

I'll be showing my parents around Japan from the 27th of july until the 21st of august.

I thought it would be best to look at matsuri and events first, before deciding the rest.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Any matsuri or other events we really can't miss?

I was thinking about the peace memorial ceremony in Hiroshima on the 6th of august and the daimonji gozan okuribi in Kyoto on the 15th of august so far.

Thank you so much in advance!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which festivals and events to do (27th july - 21st august)

Though dates won't be out quite yet; check out when the major summer fireworks are on, every town will have them. Gifu City has two big weekends, last of july and first of august.

Also, if you can get to Gujo-Hachiman, mid way between Gifu City and Takayama, they have awesome Bon-Odori, tradiotional all-night dancing; they hold the dancing on various nights throughout summer, google to find nights and hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which festivals and events to do (27th july - 21st august)

You can get a sense of what is going on around the said period from the below website

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/festivals/

You can mix traditional matsuri like Gion in Kyoto and Nebuta in Aoyama with fireworks elsewhere all over Japan in summer. During Obon, there are many festivals you can view or participate in Obon dancing.

Sendai Tanabata and Awa Odori in Tokushima are also worthy to observe.

Simply there are lot of events going on so you can entertain your parents well with lots of memories. it is advisable that it is better make arrangement for accommodation and transportation in advance.

London
Level Contributor
449 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which festivals and events to do (27th july - 21st august)

There's Tokyo bay fireworks on 9th August as well which is awesome to see. As above there's awa odori in Tokushima, Shikoku on 12th to 15th August and also though there is the one in Kochi (Yosakoi) just before that. It's a different pace of life in Shikoku and places like Oboke Koboke gorge which are lovely to see. Maybe a bit much in terms of travel though?...

4. Re: Which festivals and events to do (27th july - 21st august)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 05:16