We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Japan

Waregem...
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Topic
First time Japan

In july-august I'm making a trip through Japan. So far it includes:

- Kamakura

- Tokyo

- Nikko

- Kyoto (where the trip so far ends)

After that I have 5 days left to spend wisely :-p

Koya-san is high on my wishlist. Any suggestions for something else? I kinda want to go hiking somewhere in nature. Maybe the Fuji area? Any suggestions? (I saw a beautifull picture of Shiraito Falls). A friend of mine who has been to Japan suggests Nara, but I feel like I will have seen so many temples and shrines by then, or am I wrong?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Japan

Kyoto and Nara are highlights of Japan trip for many people. You are strongly recommended to visit it. Kamakura might be dropped if you are doing 3-4 days in Kyoto and Nara (standard amount of time).

How many days are you spending in total? Shiraito Falls is in an odd remote area (not particularly "difficult” to access but time consuming). In Kyoto, you might do a hike from Kifune Shrine to Kurama Temple; going to Takao in western Kyoto would mean essentially a hike.

Magome-Tsumago trail accessed from Nagoya is a popular hiking route. Southern Wakayama's Kumano Kodo has also become popular in recent years among foreign tourists. Kamikochi accessed from Matsumoto is wonderful in Summer.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 12:32
Waregem...
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Japan

Thanks. Both your suggestions look amazing.

my trip in days:

Kamakura: 2 days (the day of arrival including)

Tokyo: 3 days

Nikko: 2 days

Nikko-Kyoto (1 day)

Kyoto: 2 days

4 full days left

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Japan

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Japan

Maybe actually climbing Mt. Fuji? I am planning to as I will be in Japan during that time. Definitely plan one day for Nara.

5. Re: First time Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:15