We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narita Express? First time to Tokyo.

3 posts
Save Topic
Narita Express? First time to Tokyo.

My friend and i will be visiting Tokyo in about 2 weeks time. We have sorted everything except for our transport to and from the Hotel. We originally thought we could take the limousine bus, but after further reading, it seems it doesn't leave until 3 hours after we arrive. It also appears like traffic could be a major issue.

I have been looking at catching the Narita express, but i can't seem to find the info i need. My Friend and i have large bags, roughly 30in each, would these size bags fit in the luggage compartments supplied on the N'ex? Is the N'ex likely to be packed? Would it be best to go the Green car? Are we able to catch the N'ex from Shinjuku back to Narita?

Any suggestions or advice in regards to Tokyo would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,024 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Narita Express? First time to Tokyo.

…photozou.jp/pub/…67495942.jpg

eki-net.com/pc/…index.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,850 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narita Express? First time to Tokyo.

While direct limobus service to/from hotels might be limited, you can catch the Limobus from Shinjuku station's west exit throughout the day. The outbound journey typically doesn't get bogged down in traffic like the inbound does.

limousinebus.co.jp/en/…212

NEX offers direct service between NRT and Shinjuku. On the inbound, get the NEX Direct Ticket to save about 1,500 Yen. There is no discount on the outbound available.

www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_oneway.html

NEX has dedicated luggage racks for even the largest normal airline check-in bags so it's not a problem. I don't think you'd need to take the Green Car.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,043 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narita Express? First time to Tokyo.

Each NEX carriage has luggage rack, there is no worries re luggage. NEX trains are usually only 1/3-1/2 full but you're arriving in the middle of Golden Week, so it maybe a bit more crowded.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narita Express? First time to Tokyo.

we were there 18 months ago - unless you want to splash the 2940 yen or whatever to save 30 minutes, the cheaper option is the Keisei Limited Express line, 1000 Yen, every 20 mins from Narita Airport to Ueno (to connect with the Yamanote line loop to wherever you want to go) - OK it may take 1hr 15mins and make more stops, but you'll feel more like a local than an obvious 'tourist'

there is a more expensive Keisei Skyliner but I wouldn't take that -

the JR Express is a tourist rort - non-stop - but I prefer to feel more local.

compare on this site - jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-304.pdf - hopefully current but you'll get the idea.

an old post but still looks good to me - https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Keisei_Narita_Airport_Li…

keisei.co.jp/keisei/…index.html

narita-airport.jp/en/…svc_32.html

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/train/

http://wikitravel.org/en/Narita

tokyocheapo.com/travel/…

Edited: 21 April 2014, 05:36
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,850 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narita Express? First time to Tokyo.

Taking the faster trains does not make you less local. That is total non-sense in my opinion. The Keisei Limited Express not only takes longer, but it is also a commuter style train that is much less comfortable. Since it has no luggage racks, you will have to hold onto your large suitcases next to you trying not to block others using the train. I have taken this slow train before due to a schedule issue, and I wouldn't do it again if I have a choice.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narita Express? First time to Tokyo.

I would not take a commuter train from Narita, especially during Golden Week! Plus the OP would have to endure a long-ish ride on the Yamanote line to Shinjuku, again holding on to their luggage. A discounted Nex ticket is only 1500 yen, so the savings for using Keisei commuter train + local JR would only be ~300 yen - not worth it IMO!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,201 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narita Express? First time to Tokyo.

As I live near Asakusa, I normally take the commuter type SkyAccess Ltd Exp (which uses the new short cut route; it's not the Keisei Ltd Exp which goes around the mainline), or the dedicated airport access train Keisei Skyliner from Ueno Station. When I used to live elsewhere I normally took Keisei Skyliner from northern areas including Ikebukuro, Nippori, Ueno, and Akihabara. But for people going to Shinjuku, Shibuya, or Shinagawa Station, JR N'EX should be the right choice; comfortable and probably worth the money.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 12:00
8. Re: Narita Express? First time to Tokyo.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16