We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards: Magnetic strip or "chip-and-pin"?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Topic
Credit cards: Magnetic strip or "chip-and-pin"?

Coming from the US, most everyone has a magnetic strip card. I have one of those but I have found a credit union which has issued to me a "chip-and-pin" technology card (it also has a magnetic strip as well).

What credit card technology is prevalent in Japan please?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,037 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit cards: Magnetic strip or "chip-and-pin"?

I use my strip credit card - never an issue. Make sure you advise your cc issuing bank that you're going to be using your card in Japan.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit cards: Magnetic strip or "chip-and-pin"?

they'll use chip if you have it. they'll swipe if not.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,420 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit cards: Magnetic strip or "chip-and-pin"?

Both work. You won't be required to input your pin either.

Shikoku, Japan
Level Contributor
263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit cards: Magnetic strip or "chip-and-pin"?

Japan is chip and pin, but they still accept the magnetic strip cards. Chip is relatively recent in the US but for now almost all are chip and sign; few are chip and pin in the US. Chip and pin is generally better, but our US cards still having the strip partially defeats the security features of the chip.

5. Re: Credit cards: Magnetic strip or "chip-and-pin"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2016, 05:15