We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel hints and tips for the Nagoya - Kyoto area

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Travel hints and tips for the Nagoya - Kyoto area

Hi all - I am going to be visiting Japan with my family (husband and 2 kids - 8 & 5 years old) - we fly in and out of Nagoya and would love to travel around the Kyoto area - any hints and tips to help me build my itinerary would be awesome! Thank you. Nicky

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,798 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel hints and tips for the Nagoya - Kyoto area

Welcome to TA.

You can research both of your proposed destinations at - http://www.japan-guide.com/

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
787 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel hints and tips for the Nagoya - Kyoto area

Hi there

Nagoya is not really a major stop for tourists but there are a couple of interesting attractions, among them are the Toyota Automobile Museum or the Toyota Techno Museum. Should also check out the port area.

As for Kyoto there are really plenty to see. Top in my list are :

1. Fushimi Inari

2. Kiyomizudera

3. Ginkakuji

4. Nijo Castle

5. Kinkakuji

6. Explore Gion & Higashiyama

I have written about my trip to Kyoto last spring in my blog : …wordpress.com/category/…

Hope you will get more ideas from there

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,378 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel hints and tips for the Nagoya - Kyoto area

If traveling on Shinkansen, Nagoya and Kyoto are less than 40 minutes apart between city centers. As Kyoto requires multiple days, be sure to plan at least 2-3 days there.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,835 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel hints and tips for the Nagoya - Kyoto area

How long are you going to spend in total in Japan?

Kyoto City should require at least 2-3 days as Sammyfloyd-san says above. You may also consider visits to Nara and Osaka from Kyoto (which are about 40 minutes each from Kyoto). There are countless historic cultural sites in Kyoto and Nara. Osaka has nearly none apart from Osaka Castle Park with a reconstructed tower functioning as a museum.

Magome and Tsumago are old towns in the hills on the Nakasendo road, which can be visited in 1.5 hours from Nagoya.

Nagashima Onsen Spa Land is a popular resort within 1 hour from Meitetsu Nagoya Bus Terminal.

A relatively small but one of the oldest castles can be seen at Inuyama, about 40 minutes away from Nagoya on Meitetsu train. There is also an open-air museum of nice old buildings built in the era of modernization of Japan, Meiji Mura, also in Inuyama.

Please refer to Japan-Guide, JNTO, and local official tourism sites for each city for details (please Google search for them; they are easy to find).

Edited: 23 April 2014, 00:01
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel hints and tips for the Nagoya - Kyoto area

Fun!

My top recs for Nagoya are: Nagoya Castle, Osu Kannon Temple + Shopping arcade, Nagoya Tower, Oasis 21 (great conveyor belt sushi restaurant below), the Planetarium (awesome architecture), Cafe du Ciel in Nagoya Station (on the 52nd ish floor)

More on Nagoya: blaineanderin.com/top-sights-in-nagoya-japan/

My Kyoto Favorites:

- Kiyomizu-dera Temple (near Gion District)

- Pontocho Alley (near Gion, great for dinner and Geisha sightings)

- Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion)

- Fushimi Inari Taisha (lots of sake breweries in this region)

- The Philosopher's Path (near Nazen-ji Temple and Ginkaku-ji)

- Arashiyama region (bamboo forest, Tenryu-ji Temple, Okochi Sanso Villa)

More on Kyoto: http://www.blaineanderin.com/two-days-kyoto/

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel hints and tips for the Nagoya - Kyoto area

Thanks so much everyone for your advice! I lived in Nagoya for 12 months about 20 years ago so I am excited to revisit with my family. We definitely plan on more time in Kyoto - I also fancy a trip to Koya-San too if possible - any thoughts?

7. Re: Travel hints and tips for the Nagoya - Kyoto area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:16