We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Modesty During Workout?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
Modesty During Workout?

I don't know if I will even think about working out while I am in Japan, but just in case I feel like it, I would like to ask this question. Can I wear the same kind of workout clothes I wear in the US, e.g. tight and short top and bottom? I may work out in a hotel gym or jog in a public park.

Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,989 reviews
from US$156.90*
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
899 reviews
from US$129.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
862 reviews
from US$66.50*
3-Day Mt Fuji, Kyoto and Nara Rail...
133 reviews
from US$586.20*
New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Modesty During Workout?

yes, fine to wear small clothes. whatever you feel comfortable in. less to pack!

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Modesty During Workout?

Absolutely... You will see a lot of different people wearing different things in Japan, and what you describe will not be a problem at all... Have fun!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,578 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Modesty During Workout?

I wear the same workout clothes in the US and Japan--namely Bebe Sport brand (tight and sexy) and never had a problem. Actually I get lots of compliments from Japanese girls.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,256 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Modesty During Workout?

If Shibuyakko would change her profile picture to what it was a few weeks ago, maybe you will know exactly what she wears!

>>>I wear the same workout clothes in the US and Japan--namely Bebe Sport brand (tight and sexy) and never had a problem.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,578 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Modesty During Workout?

Haha, I don't show my abs in Japan:)

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Modesty During Workout?

"Haha, I don't show my abs in Japan:)"

So showing abs is too much? I don't think about it twice here.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Modesty During Workout?

showing abs is fine. whatever you're comfortable with. a woman at the hotel gym most recent trip wore just sports bra every time I saw her at the gym. she was kind of "soft" but whatever makes her happy.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,578 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Modesty During Workout?

Japanese women are much more conservative than Americans when it comes to showing skin in public. I've never seen one showing abs in the gyms I frequent. Occasionally, I see Westerners showing abs. So like the previous poster said, whatever you're comfortable with is just fine.

I'm sort of a perfectionist and I don't show my abs unless I'm in the top shape of less than 12% body fat. Unfortunately, I usually have a thin layer of fat on my abs while on a vacation in Japan--too much sake :-)

9. Re: Modesty During Workout?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16