We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

Need advise for my first time trip with family (2 adults + 2 kids - 7 y/o & 9 y/o). Thank you.

We are thinking to buy the 7-day green japan rail pass. Do you think it is a good idea?

Day 1 (May 26+27) – Hiroshima (2 night)

Arrived Tokyo Narita at 4:20 pm

- Transportation recommendation to go to Hiroshima from Tokyo Narita Airport (please provide website for the transportation schedule):

- Hotel recommendation near Hiroshima train station (any website, address, phone and price range):

- spend 2 nights at Hiroshima for sightseeing

- Please help to provide instructions to places to visit in Hiroshima: (1) Miyama, (2) Atomic Bomb Dome

Day 2 (May 28) – Osaka (1 night)

Check out hotel and travel from Hiroshima and go to Osaka

- Transportation recommendation to go to Osaka from Hiroshima (please provide website for the transportation schedule):

- Hotel recommendation near Osaka train station (any website, address, phone and price range):

- spend a night at Osaka for sightseeing

- Please help to provide instructions to places to visit in Osaka: (1) Osaka Castle, (2) Shinsaibashi/Dotonburi

Day 3 (May 29) –Kyoto (1 night)

Check out hotel and travel from Osaka and go to Kyoto

- Transportation recommendation to go to Kyoto from Osaka (please provide website for the transportation schedule):

- Hotel recommendation near Kyoto train station (any website, address, phone and price range):

- spend a night at Kyoto for sightseeing

- Please help to provide instructions to places to visit in Kyoto: (1) Kinkakuji (Golden Temple), (2) Nijyo Castle, (3) Kiyomizu Temple

Day 4 and 5 (May 30) – Kawaguchi-ko/Mt. Fuji (1 night)

Check out hotel and travel from Kyoto and go to Kawaguchi-ko/Mt. Fuji

- Transportation recommendation to go to Kawaguchi-ko/Mt. Fuji from Kyoto (please provide website for the transportation schedule):

- Hotel recommendation near Kawaguchi-ko train station (any website, address, phone and price range):

- spend a night at Kawaguchi-ko for sightseeing and enjoy Mount Fuji view

Day 6 (May 31) –Tokyo (1 night)

Check out hotel and travel from Kawaguchi-ko/Mt. Fuji and go to Tokyo

- Transportation recommendation to go to Tokyo from Kawaguchi-ko/Mt. Fuji (please provide website for the transportation schedule):

- Hotel recommendation near Tokyo train station (please provide website, address, phone and price range):

- spend one night at Tokyo for sightseeing

- Please help to provide instructions to visit Harajuku in Tokyo

Day 7 (June 1) –Depart Tokyo at 6:10 pm

- Please help to provide instructions to visit Asakusa kannon & Nakamise and leave Tokyo at 3 pm to Narita airport

Edited: 01 May 2014, 04:04
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

What an average tourist can do for 7 days in Japan. www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_5.html

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

Thank you Nao H. But, we try to visit the places of interest for our coming trip. The website you provided does not seem to have the information we are looking for.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,019 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

The Trip Advisor Forums are made up of volunteers.

What you are asking for is what is usually done by a travel agency hat does "tailored trips"

Inside Japan is, IME, a very good travel agency for Japan. They will sort out the details of a trip tailored to your requests and interests and, in my experience, are very good at working to a budget.

They all speak fluent Japanese and have lots of experience in Japan. They can work very well by email and also have experience with trips involving young children.

This might be what you are looking for:

insidejapantours.com/fully-tailored-japan-ho…

And here is a website with Japan Rail schedules: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Edited: 01 May 2014, 13:38
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

I meant you were trying to do too much.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

For such a short trip, I think you are trying to do too much and wasting a lot of time travelling between places. You should focus on maybe visiting 2 - 3 cities, just my two cents worth

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

You are asking quite a lot of Trip Advisors - you must do some basic groundwork yourself. The info you want is easy to find: look for hotels on the web that suit your specific budget , look at maps & check the JR website for transport info http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/ Japan Guide & JNTO websites explain how to reach sights. Or go to the attractions website.

I'll comment on Hiroshima only:

Getting to Hiroshima the same day is totally impractical for you - Hiroshima is over 800km away, too far from Narita to reach it the same day unless you flew - but most flights depart from Haneda over an hour from Narita. You still wouldn't reach Hiroshima city until very late at night as the airport is nowhere near the city in eastern Hiroshima Prefecture, an hour away.

Personally I don't think you need a Green Car JR Pass as there's hardly any difference between Ordinary & Green. Note, you can't use Nozomi and there are no green cars on Hikari Rail Star sanyo shinkansen services to Hiroshima.)

Hiroshima has some very good hotels right near the station, both Granvia and Sheraton are right outside as well as many small, basic business hotels in the area.

In Hiroshima it's easy to get to most places by tram, the terminal is outside Hiroshima Station. Hiroshima is very used to catering to overseas visitors & there are plenty of signs & announcements in English.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,393 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

I agree with Elly regarding Hiroshima, except for one thing. Hikari Railstar trains were mostly replaced by the Sakura trains, which have wonderful Green seats:

The picture on right showing Green seats. If you can afford it, go Green. Green cars are less crowded and quieter, seats and windows are bigger, it has more leg rooms with leg riser and foot rest and you get better service.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

Thank you very much for all your valuable feedback and suggestion. Greatly appreciated.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
870 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

2 hotels we used in Japan which were located close to stations and good value for money were Granvia Hiroshima (in the same building as the station) and Il Cuore Namba in Osaka (5 mins walk from Namba station and Dotonbori area for restaurants etc)

10. Re: Need advise for my first time trip with family to Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:16