We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

Kuching, Malaysia
9 posts
Save Topic
Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

Hi,

I will be arriving Chubu on 31/05, will go to Osaka on the same day, stay 5 days 4 nights. My itinerary in Osaka basically cover Namba, Shinseikai (Tennoji), Abeno, Umeda (Floating Garden & Tenjinbashi), Kaiyukan Aquarium. I have bought the JR West Rail Pass, is this pass can be used for all the area I mention above? Is it very complicated to find the correct train to get around wif my JR pass as I know there are a lots of train operators in Japan. I know I can get the answer in Hyperdia, but I'm not sure the station name for each of the places that I'm planning to go in Osaka. Also, with the JR pass, is it necessary to get the Icoca Card again?

After Osaka, I'll be heading to Kyoto using the JR pass again. From Kyoto how do I buy the Shinkansen ticket to back to Nagoya?

Lastly, what is the weather kind during 31/05-07/06? Consider hot or windy or rainy season?

Thanks in advance.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

The JR West Kansai Area Pass is not very useful because it is difficult to cover a distance worth 2060 yen by local trains within the designated area in a single day. One of the few itineraries, which justify the purchase of the Kansai Area Pass, is a day trip from Kyoto or Osaka to Himeji.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_03.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

The JR Kansai Area Pass doesn't cover Nagoya. In fact, none of the JR passes save money in your case. If speed between Nagoya and Osaka is important, just buy single JR Shinkansen tickets, then use single tickets or buy an ICOCA stored value card for local travel. If you don't mind a slower train between Nagoya and Osaka, get the Kintetsu Rail Pass Wide version.

kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/…rpw1-2.html

Weather info can be found on better weather sites. Beginning of June should be nice temperature wise.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 01:45
Kuching, Malaysia
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

Hi Sammyfloyd, can the Limited Express Train ticket under Kintetsu Rail Pass be used from Kyoto to Nagoya? Tks for your reply.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

Yes. That's a major selling point of the pass.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 15:23
Kuching, Malaysia
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

Very sorry if I'm over long-winded, one more thing to confirm b4 I proceed to buy the Kintetsu Wide Rail Pass. If my 1st day of using the limited express train ticket is at 31/05 @ 11am, from Nagoya to Osaka. My last day for the pass will be at 04/06, means I must go back to Nagoya on that day. How about the time? Is it ended at 11am also? Of time doesn't matter as long as i get back to Nagoya on the 04/06.. Even late in the evening? Ur reply would be very much appreciated.. Tks..

Kuching, Malaysia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

Hi, I'm planning my itinerary in Osaka as below:

Day 1 reach Namba @ 3pm, check in to hotel..

Day 2 Umeda (Museum of Housing & Living, Tenjinbashi Shopping Street, Tenmangu Shrine, Umeda Sky Building - Floating Garden)

Day 3 Tempozan Harbour Village (Osaka Aquarium, Santa Maria Day Cruise, Giant ferris Wheel, Market Place)

Day 4 Namba (Shinsaibashi, Amerikamura, Kumoron Market, Dotonbori)

Day 5 check out from hotel to Nagoya

Pls advice which day of the above I can slot in the Osaka Castle? Tks..

Edited: 04 May 2014, 16:19
Kuching, Malaysia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

Sorry I accidentally post my question here while reading this topic.. I have re-post as new question.. Really sorry..

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

The Pass use is based on calendar days so you get the entire day of June 4. Also, even if it's based on hours, by June 4 at 11am, only 96 hours would have passed.

@Lsvoon: You can also click on "Report inappropriate content" and then choose "Remove my post"

Kuching, Malaysia
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

Thank you very much Sammy floyd for ur useful reply..

10. Re: Nagoya-Osaka-Nagoya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:17