We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo Subway Ticket

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo Subway Ticket

I believe there is a Tokyo subway ticket that can be bought from haneda airport and is valid for either 1 or 2 days. Has anyone used this? Is this value for money? Are there perhaps other options to consider? Thank you

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,325 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo Subway Ticket

Only you know if it is of value, because we have no idea how many subway rides you intend to do each day. In general none of the in-town unlimited ride tickets are of value unless you have very specific itineraries. Please use www.hyperdia.com to price out your itinerary and compare the cost with unlimited ride tickets.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo Subway Ticket

Hi

We bought unlimited tickets and it turned out to be more expensive than paying per trip.

But is is easy and if I remember correctly the daypass was about 1100 yens, so not a lot...

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo Subway Ticket

The new ticket that is called "Tokyo Subway Ticket" and covers both Toei and Metro lines for 1, 2, or 3 days can be a pretty good buy. At least, it's a better buy than most of the other day passes. But if you don't take many subway rides, of course it doesn't pay off.

A brief overview of day passes is on Japan Guide. Scroll down to "Tickets" on the following page.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

For most people, the total savings from a given day pass normally are a few hundred yen at most, and if you aren't already familiar with the transportation network and the various lines that are covered by the various passes, it might not be worth the money learning the ins and outs. Just get a Suica card. For more experienced Tokyo travelers or for people who don't mind learning the details, the day passes can be worthwhile.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo Subway Ticket

Thank you for all replies, all very valuable information

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,692 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo Subway Ticket

Daily passes don't usually pay off. It's very easy to lose money while any savings you get would be minimal. Therefore, go with a Suica or Pasmo.

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo Subway Ticket

That new ticket is really a very good deal, definitely the best Tokyo day pass. It's pretty easy to rack up over 1500 yen in subway fares over three days of getting around Tokyo. So I definitely think it's worth considering. The two-day and one-day versions are perhaps less likely to pay off, but I can still see easily see them supporting many typical sightseeing and shopping itineraries. I will surely be buying some of these myself in the future (I hope they are not just temporary deals that will go away in a few months!). I tend to use the subway quite a lot when I visit Tokyo, and having a pass that covers both companies (Toei and Metro) at the price of these new passes will be just great. So many things have increased in cost this year that it's nice to see a good deal like this show up, even if it only involves a small amount of money.

A subway day pass can be of particular value if you are staying at a hotel near a subway station (especially if you like to go back to the hotel a couple of times during the day), or if you are the sort who enjoys free and random or spontaneous exploration of new places. When I have a day pass, I tend to go to more places, and I have made some wonderful discoveries on occasions when I took an extra ride or two on transit because it was "free."

Still, for Tokyo newbies who are just learning about JR, Metro, and Toei (not to mention Keisei, Keikyu, Yurikamome, Rinkai, Tokyu, and various other lines), trying to figure out whether to buy a day pass can just be a hassle. And the three-day Tokyo Subway Ticket in particular can end up being a waste of a fair amount of money shelled out in advance, if your carefully planned sightseeing agenda ends up getting derailed by rain or something.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 12:31
7. Re: Tokyo Subway Ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:23