We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto Bus Fare

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
Kyoto Bus Fare

When paying bus fare for two people, can I put in the total amount for two people or do I have to put in the individual amount for each person? I am asking because I read one needs exact change for a bus ride.

Likely To Sell Out
Mt. Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,191 Reviews
from US$147.30*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
108 Reviews
from US$57.00*
US$76.00
Mt Fuji Day Trip with Lake Ashi...
946 Reviews
from US$133.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Cabaret Evening Show...
898 Reviews
from US$68.40*
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto Bus Fare

Yes, you can. And money changer machine (bill to coins) is equipped on the bus.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto Bus Fare

Yes, just indicate to the driver that you are paying for two persons when you deposit the fares by saying 'two' or holding up two fingers.

To consider, the buses in Kyoto are often packed standing room only but they still run on time - when people don't have exact change, at least one stop before their stop they'll try and make their way to the front of the bus where there is a change machine by the driver and make change so they don't hold up the bus when getting off. But when the bus is packed, which is quite frequent, this is almost impossible to do.

It's much easier, and cheaper if you'll be taking more than two bus rides a day, to pick up one of the passes available at the ticket machines in the subway stations - sightseeing, one day bus, multi use passes, etc. The average bus ride when I was in Kyoto in April was 240 yen; an all day bus pass from the subway ticket machine is only 500 yen.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 01:55
Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto Bus Fare

After you get on the bus, use the change machine located behind the bus driver to obtain change for your bill. When you reach your destination, deposit exact change in the coin box .

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto Bus Fare

note that in Kyoto you enter through the back door and exit the bus through the front door.

you pay the driver or show him your pass as you exit the bus

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,882 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto Bus Fare

You have to put the Pass through the machine as it's time and date-stamped when you start using it. The validity of the Pass is verified by the machine.

A helpful link:

city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

>>>you pay the driver or show him your pass as you exit the bus

6. Re: Kyoto Bus Fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 07:16