We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick questions about public transportation in Japan

Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Quick questions about public transportation in Japan

I have a couple of quick questions about the public transportation in Japan:

-is google maps with the public transit option usually reliable for Japan? If not, is there some other site that you could recommend for somebody who doesn't know any Japanese?

-are the stops for public transit (trains, subways, buses) labeled in Latin characters, or solely in Japanese? If it's the latter, are there any survival strategies that people have figured out?

Likely To Sell Out
Mt. Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,204 Reviews
from US$145.20*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
108 Reviews
from US$56.20*
US$74.90
Mt Fuji Day Trip with Lake Ashi...
947 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Cabaret Evening Show...
899 Reviews
from US$67.40*
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick questions about public transportation in Japan

1) www.hyperdia.com

2) subway and trains yes, buses often in Japanese only. Have your destination written down in Japanese, large print, and ask fellow passengers / drivers / conductors

Edited: 23 May 2014, 21:54
Tucson, Arizona...
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick questions about public transportation in Japan

Google Maps for only within the city, if your city hoping then Hyperdia.

I made the mistake once to use Google Maps for getting back to Narita and I ended up on the slow train the whole way back, Its improved now but I still double check on long train rides with Hyperdia to see if a long ride can become shorter.

3. Re: Quick questions about public transportation in Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 06:16