We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narita to Tokyo... worth the trip for a few hours?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Narita to Tokyo... worth the trip for a few hours?

Hi all,

I am going to Okinawa in July and on the way home we have an overnight layover in Narita. We'll get there around 3:30pm and leave the next morning around 10:30. Is it worth the trip to Tokyo for a few hours that evening? If so what's the best way to get there? What would be a must see in Tokyo? And if not, what are the must-sees in Narita?

Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,519 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Narita to Tokyo... worth the trip for a few hours?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narita to Tokyo... worth the trip for a few hours?

I'd say it's worth it, even if you are there for just an evening, Flying into Haneda could be easier, if you could arrange it.

Before dinner, you might do some shopping - Shinjuku, Shibuya, Yurakucho/Ginza or Akihabara are options. Or if you like art, consider the Mori Art museum, which doubles up as an observation point - japan-guide.com/e/…moriartmuseum .

You'll have to depart early in the morning. Plan it out in advance.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 21:56
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Narita to Tokyo... worth the trip for a few hours?

3.30 pm probably means you could potentially be out of the airport only around 4.30 pm, Narita has a pretty long walk to the customs counter. The trip to Tokyo city center takes almost 1.5 hours (unless you go for something like Sky Liner or NEX) so that would mean an ETA of around 6 pm in the evening. Most normal shops close around 9-ish (or even 8-ish), so that leaves you with limited shopping time, considering that it will take time to settle down.

My opinion is that unless there is something very specific you wanna see in the evening/night... it might not be worth your while.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narita to Tokyo... worth the trip for a few hours?

Even with NEX and Skyliner, it still takes 60-90 minutes to reach central Tokyo. If you head to central Tokyo, you will indeed likely get there around 6pm.

Most stores close between 8pm to 9pm. You could still look at some shops if you are interested although the atmosphere at Shinjuku and Shibuya would be more interesting and memorable vs stores in my opinion. The next morning, you would have to leave around 7am to get back to NRT for your onward flight.

If you feel the above is too rushed, opt for Narita city instead as it will be a much more relaxing trip. Narita city is just 5 minutes from the airport, and you will save about 4,000 Yen on transport vs taking NEX to Shinjuku or Shibuya.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Narita to Tokyo... worth the trip for a few hours?

Thank you all for your replies! I would love to visit Tokyo, mostly because I will probably never be back there :) We would need to leave Tokyo that night because we already have a hotel booked in Narita for the night. We were planning on taking the Skyliner... does anyone know what time the latest shuttle back to Narita would be? It does seem a bit rushed perhaps, but like I said may just be worth it since we'll probably never be back there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narita to Tokyo... worth the trip for a few hours?

Wow, should of said that at the beginning!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narita to Tokyo... worth the trip for a few hours?

The last Skyliner leaves Ueno at 17:45 (weekdays) and 17:40 (weekends and holidays) so you won't be able to use the Skyliner service back to NRT. The last Keisei Sky Access (slower commuter style train) leaves Ueno at 21:40 (weekdays) and 21:44 (weekends and holidays). If you are connecting to a Keisei train via Yamanote Line, make the connection at Nippori which is the stop after Ueno.

8. Re: Narita to Tokyo... worth the trip for a few hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:15