We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long ?

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
290 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How long ?

How long is a minimum to experience Japan given the expense and what is a good trip length to see the highlights ?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long ?

7 days should be the minimum and 14-21 days could be a good trip length.

With 7 days, you can visit Tokyo and its vicinity for 3 days, plus Kyoto, Nara, in 3 days (Osaka in one of the evenings). With 14 days, you would have time to add places like the Hida Valley (Takayama, Shirakawago, plus Kanazawa not afar) and/or the Sanyo Region (Kurashiki, Onomichi, Hiroshima, Miyajima). Places like Koyasan, Kii Peninsula (Shirahama, Kushimoto, Katsuura, Kumano Kodo trail), Ise Shrine, Magome and Tsumago, Amano Hashidate and Kinosaki Onsen, Kurobe-Tateyama Alpine Route, as well as parts of the Tohoku Region (Aizu Wakamatsu, Yamadera Risshakuji, Matsushima, Naruko Gorge, Lake Towada) or Kyushu (Nagasaki and Unzen, Kumamoto and Aso, Kagoshima and Miyazaki) or Shikoku (Seto Grand Bridge, Takamatsu, Kochi and Matsuyama) might come in sight for trips longer than 2 weeks.

If you are from UK you might imagine doing it all in a week, that is London in 3 days, York then Edinburgh, Glasgow, and parts of the Scottish highlands in another 3 days (of course it's a rush but not impossible). But it would be a better trip if we have 10-14 days to add places like Stratford upon Avon and the Cotswolds, Chester, Snowdonia or Lake District.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 23:38
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,744 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long ?

www.japan-guide.com has a wealth of information, including suggested itineraries.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long ?

We spent 17 nights in Japan (Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Tokyo) and it simply was not enough.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
290 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long ?

How long ago where you there and how much did you spend please ?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long ?

I have had 3 trips to Japan.

The first was 3 1/2 weeks, the second 2 1/2 weeks and the third 5 1/2 weeks. None were long enough, which is why I keep going back.

I haver at least 2 more trips planned.

Japan is much less expensive than you would think once you get there, less than visiting London.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
290 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long ?

So how much could you be spending per day then in Japan? I sure hope it's less expensive than London, I would not want to be holidaying at London preces for two / three weeks.

Is Japan cheaper out of TOKYO and other cites, small towns? I generally prefer smaller towns wherever I go and rarely stay in the big cities for long.Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long ?

Here is a detailed budget from our 4 day trip to Tokyo in January 2013: http://www.blaineanderin.com/cost-of-tokyo/

Most of the country is similar pricing. You can definitely save money by eating at less expensive restaurants, staying in hostels, etc...

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long ?

If you only stay 7-10 days, think about staying in one location, for example Tokyo or Kyoto or Hiroshima, and take two or three trips from there. Staying in one location gives you opportunity to get to know a neighborhood, you slow down and start to get a sense of place, you start to see patterns, understand signage, notice people. If you stay 14-21 days, you have that kind of time in a couple of different places.

But really it depends on whether you want to gloss over the top and see a lot of places, or learn more about one place. I've done both, and both perspectives have their value. Just depends on what you're looking for!

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long ?

Depends what your interests are, how much time have you got.

I’m going in November for three weeks and only touching the main areas – admittedly I don’t like rushing around. Have a look at other itineraries on here and on Japan Guide – an excellent resource. Your profile name suggests a trip south to the Yaeyama Islands might be a good idea (but be sure to investigate domestic air passes if you do - the standard airfare is exorbitant!). Something from my planned itinerary may even appeal.

tripadvisor.com.ph/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k6…

Whatever you decide, the good news – confirmed by Erin B’s brilliant budget – is that it can be considerably cheaper than London!

Edited: 21 June 2014, 08:13
10. Re: How long ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:16