We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Topic
18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

hi guys

after studying hard here is our 18 days itinerary.

i hope to get some precious tip from you cos we are totally confused about buying the rail pass or not and if so for how long do we need it. thanks in advance.

here is our itinerary:

1. fukuoka - hiroshima

2. hiroshima

3. hiroshima - osaka

4. osaka

5. osaka - nara - osaka

6. osaka - kyoto

7. kyoto

8. kyoto

9. kyoto - nagano

10. nagano - jigokusani - nagano

11. nagano - dewa sanzan

12. dewa sanzan

13. dewa sanzan - tokyo

14. tokyo

15. tokyo - nikko - tokyo

16. tokyo - kamakura - tokyo

17. tokyo

18. tokyo - narita

hope u can help us out

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

I GUESS 14 day JR Pass pays off as you visit remote Dewa Sanzan. Visit Nikko on Day 14 while JR Pass is active.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

On the way back from Dewa Sanzen you can visit Nikko. Take the shinkansen to Utsunomiya and change for the JR Nikko line.

But even on your current itinerary either the 14 or 21 day Pass will save you money.

Dewa Sanzen is a very, very long way away - it will take at least 4 hours from Nagano station to reach Tsuruoka station, from there you will need to take a bus to reach the mountains (closest Haguro-san is 40 minutes but Yudono-san is 80 minutes) Consider allowing more time to see this unique place with its sacred mountains.

Personally, I would cut time from Osaka to add an extra day for seeing Dewa Sanzen. (I think you can probably enjoy a bit of sightseeing in Osaka after arriving from Hiroshima & Osaka is most enjoyable at night, the next day you can go to Nara & Kyoto.)

Also I after all your travelling, I would just spend time exploring Tokyo rather than doing more day trips out of the city.

www.tsuruokakanko.com/english/haguro.html

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

Thank u so much guys

I was thinking to stay one night in nara instead of Osaka and instead of doing a day trip from Osaka

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

"I was thinking to stay one night in nara instead of Osaka"

Great idea.

Check out the JR Super Lohas Hotel which is right at the JR station - if it fits your budget, I recommend it.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298198-d148568…

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

Thank u so much

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

Just reviewed your itin - what about Miyajima? or Nagasaki? We've bypassed Hiroshima on several trips, but been to Miyajima twice and are planning for a third visit. Highly recommended.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,967 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

I have traveled to Yamagata Prefecture many times in my youth. Yamadera (Risshakuji Temple) near Yamaga City shouldn't be dropped from your itinerary, I think. As above poster has said, Nikko (via Utsunomiya) is on the way from Yamagata to Tokyo, so you would want to visit it in between.

Kyoto would require 3-4 days to cover and Nara one day at least. Visit both Horyuji and Todaiji if you stay in Nara City. I assume that you'd be spending some time on Miyajima while in Hiroshima.

You might consider doing your trip like this:

D1 Arrival morning in Fukuoka by air. Activate JR Pass. Visit Kumamoto by Shinkansen; see the castle and Aso Volcano. Perhaps day onsen around Aso. Return to Fukuoka and go on a Ramen hunt at night (nothing else much to do in Fukuoka City).

D2 Shinkansen to Hiroshima. See Hiroshima City sites. Stay in Miyajima.

D3 Miyajima's Itsukushima Shrine and Mt Misen. Take train to port towns on Takehara or Onomichi and stay there.

D4 Takehara or Onomichi, then afternoon in Kurashiki. Evening train to Kyoto. Stay in Kyoto.

D5 Kyoto Higashiyama area. Stay in Kyoto.

D6 Kyoto Arashiyama area. Stay in Kyoto.

D7 Kyoto as well as Osaka Namba, Shinsaibashi, and Dotombori in between towards the evening. Stay in Kyoto.

D8 Nara. Todaiji, Nigatsudo, Kofukuji, Kasuga Taisha, Naramachi. Stay in Nara.

D9 Morning visit to Horyuji in Ikarugacho.

D10 Train from Nara and Kyoto to Matsumoto. You may see the old post towns of Magome or Tsumago or Narai on the way. Stay in Matsumoto.

D11 See Matsumoto Castle then head over to Jigokudani near Shibu Onsen town. Stay in Shibu Onsen.

D12 Train to Tsuruoka. Stay in Tsuruoka.

D13 Gassan hike (Dewa Sanzan). Stay in Yamagata City.

D14 Morning visit to Yamadera and afternoon in Sendai City or Matsushima. Evening train to Utsunomiya and Nikko. Stay in Nikko or Kinugawa Onsen.

D15 Nikko day. Evening Tobu Railway train to Tokyo. Perhaps stay around Asakusa area in Tokyo.

D16 Tokyo (Eastern Central)

D17 Tokyo (Western Central)

D18 Tokyo to Narita Airport and fly home.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 03:37
Vermont
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

Yobeekool -

Brilliant itinerary for Mark. He arrives Fukuoka by boat from Seoul, if I recall, so timings may prove difficult for Kumamoto. Castle is not to be missed, it has to fit in somehow.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 03:45
Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

Thank u

Yes we do arrive by ferry to fukuoka and we were thinking about skipping the city and go directly to Hiroshima

Anyway i ll study uor adviced itinerary

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 18 days itinerary help. rail pass or not

thanks i ll check Miyajima on line

u d skip hiroshima for Miyajima