We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inn to inn walking japan in December

Launceston...
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Inn to inn walking japan in December

Hi good folks

My husband and i are wanting to do a self guided walk of about 10 nights in Japan in December. We are fairly fit. We don't want to walk in snow everyday though and we want to stay at inns or lodges each night. Any ideas?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,392 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inn to inn walking japan in December

Japan is a country. Where will yo be going?

Launceston...
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inn to inn walking japan in December

This is what we are wanting advice on 😊

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,513 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inn to inn walking japan in December

Pick a section of the Shikoku pilgrimage tour

http://wikitravel.org/en/88_Temple_Pilgrimage

Launceston...
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inn to inn walking japan in December

It looks and sounds epic! Thanks for the suggestion but it seems that it will rain a lot in this area so that is not ideal. Does anyone have any other suggestions of hiking in winter (without rain everyday 😊).

Launceston...
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inn to inn walking japan in December

", the pilgrimage is walked in either the spring or the fall. While it can be done during the summer, it is considered too hot and humid by all but the bravest, and during the winter it is just too cold to be enjoyable"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,513 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inn to inn walking japan in December

What's the basis of your opinion that in will rain a lot in December? December is one of the least rainy times in Japan.You might want to check out this table:

currentresults.com/Weather/Japan/precipitati…

I think you need do do some decent research...December is not the ideal time to go hiking around Japan not because of rain but because of winter temperatures. You can't change that fact.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 23:33
Launceston...
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inn to inn walking japan in December

the initial research that we've done says it rains a lot in that area. Happy to be told otherwise if its not true! cold is fine, just not days of rain :-)

Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Inn to inn walking japan in December

Also I would recommend Kumano Kodo つ kumadoco.net/kodo_eng/attention/index.html http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4950.html

Edited: 14 July 2014, 01:35
Launceston...
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inn to inn walking japan in December

thank you!!

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inn to inn walking japan in December

I spent 2 days in the Kumano Kodo area as wanted a glimpse into walking in that region. Very impressed with the pilgrim track, accommodation and general area. Am very keen to go back and walk for longer. To help me plan my short trip I contacted the official tourist office. Super helpful and would highly recommend them if you choose to go to this area. Not sure about conditions in December but you could email and ask.

http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/kumano-kodo/

Edited: 15 July 2014, 12:32