We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

Hi,

I'm a huge fan of Okinawa. I've already been to Hontou (the main island), Miyako, Kume and the Yaeyama Islands (all of them + Yonaguni).

I just want to spend a few relaxing days or a week at nice beaches ... maybe with a bit of swimming and snorkeling without having to worry too much about bad weather.

I've once spend 2 weeks in Okinawa that were FULL of rain. It was HORRIBLE! :(

So, I'm trying to decide if I should visit the Ogasawara Islands or the Kerama Islands.

I'm not good with ferries, though. I get easily seasick. Taking the ferry to Mikurajima / Miyakejima almost killed me despite taking meds, so I'm a bit worried. And I also read that October is the month with the highest precipitation on the Ogasawara Islands.

Furthermore, it's more expensive to travel to the Ogasawara Islands, especially because I live in Kansai, not in Tokyo.

At first sight, the Kerama Islands don't have that much rain in October. It's easier and cheaper to access.

I can only go in the first 1-2.5 weeks in October, so considering that, what would you recommend?

Has anyone been on either island in October before?

Thank you. :)

Mentioned in this post
Okinawa Prefecture
Okinawa Prefecture
Kyushu-Okinawa, Japan
Miyako
Miyako
65 Reviews
Gero, Japan
Ogasawara
Ogasawara
26 Reviews
Aso, Japan
Kerama Islands
Kerama Islands
136 Reviews
Shimajiri-gun, Japan
Hotel Kansai
Hotel Kansai
356 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,226 Reviews
from US$143.10*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
111 Reviews
from US$55.40*
US$73.90
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
954 Reviews
from US$129.30*
Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

I know these are both rare destinations, but has really never anyone been there?

Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

I have never been to both. There are comments in Japanese page. Ogasawara tripadvisor.jp/Attractions-g1122053-Activiti…

Kerama tripadvisor.jp/Attraction_Review-g1120820-d1…

Mentioned in this post
Ogasawara
Ogasawara
26 Reviews
Aso, Japan
Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

Thanks, but I don't need additional info about the islands. I just want to know if anybody has experience with the weather there in October. ^^;

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

i have been to ogasawara end of october. it was sunny and beautiful everyday, a bit hot but no rain and cooler in the evenings. i have not been to okinawa in october but i enjoyed snorkeling in miyakojima better than ogasawara tho in ogasawara you can snorkel shipwrecks and swim with dolphins in the ocean. i normally don't get seasick but i did get it even on the fairly big boat to ogasawara. just eat a seasick pill before you board.

Mentioned in this post
Okinawa Prefecture
Okinawa Prefecture
Kyushu-Okinawa, Japan
Ogasawara
Ogasawara
26 Reviews
Aso, Japan
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

Off topic perhaps, but if I was prone to seasickness I'd go to kerama, as it's so close to naha. Just look up average weather for naha - unfortunately there is no dry season. :(

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

I always take meds before longer ferry rides, but it doesn't always work 100%.

Kerama Islands would definitely be easier and cheaper.

Anyway, thanks a lot, everyone. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kerama Islands
Kerama Islands
136 Reviews
Shimajiri-gun, Japan
Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

So, I've done quite some research on the Kerama Islands and I think I'll stay 3 days on Tohashiki and 4 days on Zamami with day trip(s) to Aka and the surrounding islands.

Do you think that's too much?

I just want to have a relaxed vacation.

The only problem is, what if it's raining all the time? ^^;

If I stay overnight on the ilsands it's going to be a problem as I'm stuck there. If I stay in Naha and just to day trips to the islands, I have more control over it. And then I just need to try and see if there's still any accommodation available on the islands in case the weather is good after all. Sounds a bit risky, though.

Mentioned in this post
Kerama Islands
Kerama Islands
136 Reviews
Shimajiri-gun, Japan
Naha
Naha
Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

Would I need a rental car on any of the islands?

Will a bicycle be enough to get around, especially considering that I stay 3 days on Tokashiki and 4 days on Zamami (with trips to the smaller islands)?

9. Re: Ogasawara or Kerama Islands in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:15