We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Life Jackets

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Life Jackets

Are there life jackets onboard on ferries travelling to Boracay, Bohol or around Cebu ? Or should we bring our own for the children ?

I sound paranoid but we have children ... so, I hope you understand why I have to ask this question.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,953 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Life Jackets

I think there are.

However if you are planning on 'island hopping' (snorkelling and so on) hardly any bancas (small boats) have them: I have often wondered what would happen if the weather turned nasty, and on a 45 minute return transfer from wonderful Apo Island back to the Negros coastline near Dauin a few months ago, I endured a most unpleasant swell in a small banca and for a couple of minutes was worried.

So if you can find the space in your suitcases or backpacks, bringing life jackets may be a good idea.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Life Jackets

When I went to Cebu and Bohol, all the boats (ferries and bancas) I've ridden have life jackets on board.

Bohol
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Life Jackets

Hello!

Yes, all sea craft everywhere in the philippines have life jackets.

watford,UK
Level Contributor
474 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Life Jackets

lifejackets are required to all passenger vessels as it is required by Marina unless a bogus vessels that doesnt have any lifejackets nor certificate at all.

Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Life Jackets

I hate to be the negitive one always, but want travelers to know. NO not all boats here in Philippines have lifejackets. Yes they are supposed to, yes the are required to, but some do not.

The ones that do, please check the seating capisity to the number of life jackets available. Overcrowding is a big issue. Also ask to see and where the life jackets are. On the trips I have taken on some of the boat lines, they give no saftey speach before you depart, so if needed I would not even know where the life jackets are located. Also you might want to see the weight capisity and condition of the life jackets.

One banca i rode had life jackets, all for children. I assume cheaper, and it would have taken two of them to hold me up. I know all of this sounds like to much, but its true..

I would suggest bringing for the children for sure. That way you personally know. I also might be a little more worried than others, cause drowning is one of my biggest fears.....

Most of the sinking vessels you will read about here, always have more than their required passenger list. Most all boats here are overloaded and crowded beyond capisity... I know its not legal, I know they are not supposed to, but they do.... Probally do in other countries also....

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Life Jackets

Thanks CebuExpat for your honesty.

I think your comments are unfortunately true from what I have read re: overcrowding; insufficent life jackets/procedure etc.

Anyhow, we will bring life jackets for the children just to be on the safe side. This way, I know that the jackets are in good condition. Better to be safe than sorry ...

7. Re: Life Jackets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2010, 05:18